Have you ever been banned from a forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I have no idea what that means, but it made oi chuckle, so ta.

PH = Potential hydrogen
Smeg head = Arnold Rimmer
Kippers = Smoked herring.

I hope the clears everything up

Drago

Legendary Member
Yes
Two of us, on a Land Rover forum, dedicated to the 3rd incarnation of the leaf-sprung derivatives
Co-incidentally, it was for digressing onto the subject of bikes

We were told that digression from the subject of discussion was frowned upon
Sadly no 'right of reply', however politely was forthcoming

Others had been banned/left over the previous few months, & different site/forum built up

That new site still promotes, one of the best 'Leaf-Sprung' Land Rover events; Leafers At t'Pit

See, this is what I don't get. Converstations must progress, must evolve, else they're not conversations, just boring sycophancy.

For example...

"I've just bought a LWB SII wagon with the safari top"

"Oh, I see that you have."

"Yes, I have"

"Indeed"

....is pretty dull. Whereas...

"I've just bought a LWB SII wagon with the safari top."

"Wicked, ideal form your mountain bike"

"Yeah, be good for camping in as well. Speaking of which, you still got that old Transit camper?"

"Nah, sold that to my ex girlfriend. You know, the red head lass that worked up the parts place."

"She works there, eh? Think she could get me a deal on a bulk buy of hammeritie?"...

...is far, far more informative and interesting, yet some forums regard even the slightest deviation as a banning sin. Sunday lunch conversation must be jolly dull round their house. Alas, been in a few like that and quickly jumped ship.

See, this is what I don't get. Converstations must progress, must evolve, else they're not conversations, just boring sycophancy.

For example...

"Yes, I have"

"Indeed"

"Yeah, be good for camping in as well. Speaking of which, you still got that old Transit camper?"

"Nah, sold that to my ex girlfriend. You know, the red head lass that worked up the parts place."

"She works there, eh? Think she could get me a deal on a bulk buy of hammeritie?"...

...is far, far more informative and interesting, yet some forums regard even the slightest deviation as a banning sin. Sunday lunch conversation must be jolly dull round their house. Alas, been in a few like that and quickly jumped ship.

Exactly!!

Drew, the other guy (who now lives in France) was a 'tester', but despite his size, could climb very well too

See............. digression^_^

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I got banned about 10 years back from E-Goat, the RAF unofficial forum. I think i was basically getting on the nerves of the clique of 5 or 6 that ran it, being critical and / or annoying in equal measure. A form of minor trolling if you like.

I've since reflected on what positive things I could have done with the time that I wasted there, literally it was days on end and dozens of posts per day. Life's too short to live it wholly on the internet engaged in petty arguments.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Just Bikeradar twice, banned many hundreds in the past as admin of a very large forum

Sharky

Guru
My daughter didn't get banned, but I think raised a few challenges when she signed into a Jazz Café when she was doing her A level music and playing sax and clarinet. She used her real name and it was around 1998. By coincidence, there was a very famous Jazz singer who sang with the likes of the Benny Goodman band, who had just died and she had exactly the same name as my daughter. It took a little persuading to convince the other participants that she was genuine and sincere.

MiK1138

Veteran

For example...

"Yes, I have"

"Indeed"

Tell me more about this red head with the hammerite discount :smooch:

screenman

Legendary Member
Smart repair forum which I dedicated quite a bit of time too to make it succesful, camping and carravaning chat for telling people they should not rely on electrical devices to do their observations when driving.

Bodhbh

Guru
I got hauled up before the Head of Department at Uni for trolling on the Usernet, sometime in the late 90s. Nothing particularly nasty - the term has taken on an additional meaning now. It wasn't hard to start a flamewar - you could cross-post to multiple groups who almost certainly would not get along. Nothing since, I got it out my system early on. If post rubbish now it's the alcohol and I'm scared to look the next day.

Sharky

Guru
Long before the internet was born, there used to be a publication called Computer Weekly and one of the regular items was the "DP Manager's Diary".

It contained amusing stories about day to day life in a computer department, not unlike the IT Crowd tv series and were written by real DP manager's in the industry.

There was a strong rumour that one of the contributors was our very own DP manager and some of the stories had a very strong resemblance to fellow managers and directors. It was not long before the upper management found out and our DP manager was suddenly no longer our DP Manager.

May all be a rumour, but .......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom