Have you ever wondered?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
canera.jpg

How did they get that picture?​

Last edited:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
  1. another one of the same type of camera?
  2. a sketch artist?
  3. Doctor Who?

...obvious innit. An alien craft landed nearby to see what was occurring, and being an advanced life-form they naturally enough had some superior camera type devices on board, and took a few snaps. Then, just before departing they said to them there fellas 'here you go, have a few copies yourself'........I think I need to lie down now....

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
If I recall correctly, that was a special camera built for a railroad, the Chicago and Alton, which was absorbed by the Gulf, Mobile and Ohio, then merged with Illinois Central, then the line was Chicago, Missouri and Western, then Southern Pacific, now Union Pacific. This camera was used to take a picture of the entire consist of The Alton Belle, a passenger train operating between Chicago and St. Louis. Railfan lore gives me an alleged exact spot for this photograph,Brighton Park, near Chicago. That is the size of the camera, no fakery involved.
upload_2015-7-8_6-29-30.jpeg

By no means the first camera.
http://robroy.dyndns.info/lawrence/mammoth.html
This article claims the picture was taken in Brighton Park, but other reports have it near Normal. It may be hard to say, been 115 years ago. Eight by Four and a half foot plates. That is a large format.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgXhDFM9Yj-FtvWR4QwmWTOu7OMbxRWUZjHmVA0eRsUt4CtF7UkQ.jpg
Picture, taken for the Paris Exhibition of 1900.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT2iKyg0Kny-QktyZ-Y5AfRNcuRkWzygvXOlS_waQq_u5R0HL3q.jpg
another shot, closing the camera
wade7ja13.jpg

Here's a pdf of the book about it, made at the time.
http://www.pacificrimcamera.com/milanpub/Alton-Limited.pdf

Last edited:

ayceejay

Guru
Does that camera still exist?
Could I take a photo of it on my DSLR?
Could I have taken a picture of it the day after it was made on a camera I had just made that day?
Would any of this change its status as the first camera made?

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
This is an old Daguerre camera, circa 1839. The above picture of the railroad camera was taken in 1900.
The-first-photo-camera-in-the-world.jpg

This is being sold on an auction site as the world's first camera, but there were ones before it.
in 1835, William Henry Fox Talbot took this picture, oldest extant photograph.
170px-Latticed_window_at_lacock_abbey_1835.jpg

Top Bottom