Have you gone cashless?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Yes. But only because just about nowhere will take cash. I think the government will be quite happy with a cashless society as They will be able to see every penny you spend.

I have £300 in cash that my mum gave to me for Christmas. I will have to deposit it in the bank i daresay.

I heard that they are going to increase contactless limits to £100 soon. That will just about be the end of cash. May take a while, but sooner rather than later cash will be gone for good.

I to pay cash for firewood.

I always used to pay the window cleaners in cash

but since they restarted after the first lockdown they prefer bank transfer
same with trade people nowadays - a while ago they would all want cash - for reasons
but now everyone we have dealt with prefers bank transfer - because it makes it easier for them - saves putting cash into the bank and typing the details into an accounting package

Brandane

Legendary Member
And an amusing tale of my first contactless payment experience, a few years ago....
Classic country boy visits the big bad city scenario. I found myself in London, a mistake I don't make too often :okay:.
I decided to get on one of those big red buses to go somewhere, so joined the queue at the door of the bus. I had no idea about fares, ticket deals, or anything else, I just wanted to go winding my way down on Baker Street, or wherever.
With my handful of change, I approached the driver (what, no friendly conductor with her roll of paper tickets?) and asked for a single to Baker Street. He grunted something in Londonese, I had no idea. I repeated myself, trying to explain I was foreign, from a far off country of simple ways. He grunted again.
The queue behind me was now getting impatient because I had delayed the big red bus for about 5 seconds. Some friendly local person quickly explained to me that my coinage was not going to get me anywhere, I needed a bank card or an oyster (another WTF moment). So I gets my card out, ok, where is the slot to put it in, and the keypad for my PIN? Another small delay while friendly local person shows me the little pad that you pass your card over and it automatically raids your bank account - in this case for an unknown amount.
I had never before even heard of this payment system and found it all a bit worryingly open to fraud.
Once I worked it out, I found it quite amazing that it did stuff like track you, and combine all your journeys to give you the best deal, like a multi journey day ticket. Clever.

Last edited:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I can't think where I'd need cash anymore. Maybe the odd parking ticket machine if it's old, but we haven't driven for a walk due to covid. Takeaways are paid for on the app. Nope, can't think. I still keep a few quid handy just for parking which are the moment is not required

I guess one side affect of using contact payment is you leave a trail where you've been spending money. Maybe useful for the police?
Cash has always been the preferred method of payment for people wishing to stay off the radar.

Slick

Guru
And an amusing tale of my first contactless payment experience, a few years ago....
Classic country boy visits the big bad city scenario. I found myself in London, a mistake I din't make too often :okay:. I decided to get on one of those big red buses to go somewhere, so joined the queue at the door of the bus. I had no idea about fares, ticket deals, or anything else, I just wanted to go wind my down on Baker Street, or wherever. With my handful of change, I approached the driver (what, no friendly conductor with her roll of paper tickets?) and asked for a single to Baker Street. He grunted something in Londonese, I had no idea. I repeated myself, trying to explain I was foreign, from a far off country of simple ways. He grunted again. The queue behind me was now getting impatient because I had delayed the big red bus for about 5 seconds now. Some friendly local person quickly explained to me that my coinage was not going to get me anywhere, I needed a bank card or an oyster (another WTF moment). So I gets my card out, ok, where is the slot to put it in, and the keypad for my PIN? Another small delay while friendly local person shows me the little pad that you pass your card over and it automatically raids your bank account. I had never before even heard of this payment system and found it all a bit worryingly open to fraud.
Once I worked it out, I found it quite amazing that it did stuff like track you, and combine all your journeys to give you the best deal, like a multi journey day ticket. Clever.
Yeah, I had similar experience trying to work out the tube system but once you do, it does become clear. The first few journeys are a bit of an expedition for a country boy though. :laugh:

yello

I live in rural isolation so the opportunities to by anything over the counter are fewer. I have a €10 note in my wallet as as just-in-case small purchase cover but I prefer contactless even then. I used to always carry cash (and a bank card) when cycling but as I no longer cycle, that's kinda gone by the wayside now.

We can get limited balance prepaid cards here (I'm sure you can in the UK) that you simply charge up (either online or at the ATM) and use like a contactless debit card. They might only have €10 or €20 on them and they're intended for small value purchases at the tabac etc. I like the idea but it hasn't caught on and I don't have one myself.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
what, no friendly conductor with her roll of paper tickets?)

A mate of mine was a 'clippie' on the much loved open platform London Routemasters.

The clippies had a habit of wedging themselves into a luggage bay near the platform after they'd collected all the fares and rung the bell (twice) to signal to the driver to get going.

My mate was in this position when the driver did an emergency stop.

He was propelled feet first on his backside along the central aisle, ending up in a heap against the partition behind the driver.

Which led to much mirth among the passengers.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Used it four times since last February. Three of those times were crossing a toll bridge which doesn't take a card, (12p per crossing), when we met our eldest for open air walks, and once in a car park, (no card facility) when we met my sister and Mum for a walk. (When you were allowed to do that).

cheshirerob

I think a cashless society will harm the next generation in money management. I remember purchasing my first motorcycle 20 years ago. Saving week after week, apprentice wages in an old fashioned brown envelope. Paying £3500 in £20 notes has a greater impact in my mind than a bank transfer of the same amount. Those numbers on a computer screen only need a couple of zeros on the end, ensuring lifelong debt for some.

yello

We have increasing numbers of people living in life long debt. More and more each year. Low wages, (comparatively) easy credit, personal equity plans (or whatever they're called)...

Maybe that's going to become the new norm. Lenders after your retirement plans/estate!

All the car parks round here went free rather than ask people to touch them in the pandemic.

I'm sure I'm better off not using cash - no notes or coins to lose.

I was taking some cash with me for cafe stops back in the days when we could do that. I got caught out once as one of them had a minimum spend of £10. I'd stopped there back in August on the hottest day of the year and had to spend a full £10 on a card there. It's really hard cycling after a substantial meal !

Sharky

Guru
Had an interesting chat with the electritian we often use and this was before lockdown. He said that he used to take "cash" for work, without going thru the books. But when it came to getting a mortgage, he could not convince the bank that he could afford a mortgage. So now he only takes legal payments and his gross income justifies the mortgage he wants.

Top Bottom