Have you got two hours to spare?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I found them unutterably boring
Don't think they'll be putting that on the posters...

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
It does seem like a lovely idea, but not actually being there and having no idea what you're looking at was a combination that just sent me to sleep I'm afraid.
I have been warned, then!
TBH, I have some curtains to make, it is the kind of thing to have playing on the telly while I'm doing that. It might help that I know bits of the dales moderately well.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
It looks so idyllic, but in reality those roads are full of little(and not so little)pot holes, industrial tractors and slippery cow sh!t most of the year. I've found this out when riding with my group on many a Wednesday in autumn and winter.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Sounds more like a perfect time for a radio play! I can see that the programme would be more entertaining if you know what you're looking at.
Not a radio play (I do listen to podcasts quite often when gardening). I need to concentrate occasionally, as cutting something in the wrong place can be quite an expensive mistake! So something mindless that I don't need to follow is just the job for sewing. Anyway, I haven't watched it yet - I may well end up agreeing that it is totally boring!

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I loved it!! I know that part of the word well having cycled that route many times over the years. Somehow Buttertubs in a bus seems easier than on a bike.
Buttertubs is quite easy in a car too! Haven't tried it on a bike yet, and now I live rather further away than I used to and don't get there too often. Must try harder...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I will watch it when I get home from Scotland. Everbody on this site is sharing one 12 Mb connection and we have been asked not to watch Netflix or any other streaming video because it just kills the Internet for everyone. It seems that people are being resposible now because forum browsing is currently fine. Last Thursday it was taking more than a minute to open a thread! I think the bandwidth hoggers must have gone home ...

I know the Dales fairly well too and enjoy the scenery. I'll watch it in the bckground on my TV back home while catching up on emails erc.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
The BBC reaches an all time low.....2 hours of a bloody bus being driven around... I watched it for all of 2 minutes. That's 2 minutes too long.:laugh:

It looks so idyllic, but in reality those roads are full of little(and not so little)pot holes, industrial tractors and slippery cow sh!t most of the year. I've found this out when riding with my group on many a Wednesday in autumn and winter.

No they're not! I cycle and drive that precise route on a weekly basis and those are 'big' roads for around here: main route from Richmond to Reeth, along Swaledale, over Buttertubs and then the B road from Hawes to Ribblehead. You get the odd herd of cows being moved along Swaledale, but rarely, and certainly not on the others, and the number of potholes is minimal. In reality, those roads are very well maintained (unlike the Forest of Bowland).

It's interesting that the bus only takes half an hour less than cycling (briskly) on that route - a good hour longer than driving it though!

numbnuts

Legendary Member
no tv.jpg

:sad:

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Does anyone remember a programme where a jet plane flew round the entire UK coast with a camera in the back? The film was reversed and speeded up so that the journey lasted about an hour, from memory. It was shown once, and then never seems to have been seen again.
This?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
No they're not! I cycle and drive that precise route on a weekly basis and those are 'big' roads for around here: main route from Richmond to Reeth, along Swaledale, over Buttertubs and then the B road from Hawes to Ribblehead. You get the odd herd of cows being moved along Swaledale, but rarely, and certainly not on the others, and the number of potholes is minimal. In reality, those roads are very well maintained (unlike the Forest of Bowland).

It's interesting that the bus only takes half an hour less than cycling (briskly) on that route - a good hour longer than driving it though!

Clapham eh. We came through your village the other month. There was a friendly brown terrier (brown,Lakeland type) in the middle of the road. The traffic was slowing down to avoid it. I was cringing expecting it to get run over so i asked a local who's it was. They didn't know but said it was often out on its own. How irresponsible is that eh?.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The BBC reaches an all time low.....2 hours of a bloody bus being driven around... I watched it for all of 2 minutes. That's 2 minutes too long.:laugh:
It's surely an example of 'Slow Television', which I remember reading about a while back. Wiki says:

Slow television, or slow TV (Norwegian: Sakte-TV), is a term used for a genre of live "marathon" television coverage of an ordinary event in its complete length. Its name is derived both from the long endurance of the broadcast as well as from the natural slow pace of the television program's progress. It was popularised in the 2000s by the Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation, beginning with the broadcast of a 7-hour train journey in 2009.[1][2]

So, seven hours of a bloody train being driven around. Think yourself lucky.

Me too.

Slow television, or slow TV (Norwegian: Sakte-TV),
Slow TV. i wonder if this will be like Karaoke. There were dozens of little TV segments "aren't the Japanese strange?" about karaoke, then it of course appeared everywhere and is hugely popular.

I've read several articles about slow TV, basically "aren't Norwegians strange?" I would love it if it became a hit here.

My favourite was the day long special about making a fire, when controversy arose because of the way they stacked the wood (after chopping it - they didn't skip a step).

beginning with the broadcast of a 7-hour train journey in 2009
Am I the only one that finds Michael Portillo on a train is slow TV?

Last edited:
Top Bottom