Have you noticed more R.E.S.P.E.C.T whilst you are a C.Y.C.L.I.S.T?

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by PaulB, 24 Jul 2012.

1. PaulB

PaulB Guru

Because I have. I noticed it yesterday and I noticed it again today. And not just from car drivers, either. Two different groups of road-workers either waved me through temp. road-works or told me to go through a temp. red. And, one moron apart today coming out of a gawf club, motorists are seeming to give me more room and show less aggression. Whether it's Wiggins' victory, the impending Olympics or the fact we had a class bike-race here last week as well as a having a local lad who's an Olympic medallist and a current world-record holder on the track, I don't know. Maybe it's a combo of all three factors.

I've also noticed a lot more kids on bikes, one young lad today wearing an HTC kit like the old Cavendish's one. I know it's summer holidays and the weather is good but there is no question there's more riders around.

2. Noodley

Noodley Guest

Or maybe you are just attaching some meaning to things you didnae notice before?

Jodee1kenobi likes this.
  3. Sittingduck

Sittingduck Guru

It's because the sun has come out to play innit.

4. on the road

on the road Über Member

Well the only thing I noticed was someone saying "that guy thinks he's in the Tour de France".

Shaun likes this.
  5. derrick

derrick The Glue that binds us together.

It will be short lived.:whistle:

Pat "5mph" and Mad Doug Biker like this.
  6. Mad Doug Biker

Mad Doug Biker Bikeoholics Anonymous

STONE HIM!,

Unfortunately I think you might be right, but I also hope you are wrong.

Pat "5mph", Jodee1kenobi and derrick like this.
  7. MrJamie

MrJamie Oaf on a Bike

Im convinced it makes a huge psychological difference. I find the country lanes feel much safer and idyllic when its warm and sunny, the dodgier areas of town seem nice and bright and safe and car drivers seem more chilled out and friendly. Theres probably very little real difference though :smile:

8. buddha

buddha Veteran

Today I was in a black jersey with white lettering (cheapo wiggle/dhb, not Sky).
    I'm doing intervals to hopefully get back some speed I seem to have lost (due to being a fat ar$e) and was 'giving it some' up a 7% incline. When a car pulls up along side and the passenger starts to video me riding up the hill.
    I tried to smile and say something intelligible, but was too knackered - and quickly pulled off in to a side road to recover and escape down hill.
    Very strange.

Pat "5mph", Mad Doug Biker and Fnaar like this.
  9. Nihal

Nihal Veteran

Hah,let the heavens open,so will ther garages to store their bikes for hibernation............or is it aestivation:scratch:

Pat "5mph" likes this.
  10. Mad Doug Biker

Mad Doug Biker Bikeoholics Anonymous

That was the audition for Team Cycle Chat.

You failed.

Nihal, Pat "5mph" and GBC like this.
  11. Paulus

Paulus Started young, and still going.

I would suspect that it is the Wimbledon effect, I hope not.:bicycle:

12. phil_hg_uk

phil_hg_uk I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!

It is funny you should say that but yes, I got cars passing me wider than usual and I had to wave a couple of cars past that were been very over cautious.

13. TonyEnjoyD

TonyEnjoyD Veteran

Probably the sun and the school hols - both will be well over by the 2nd week in September (when I am sunning it in Rome with my lovely wife).

14. GBC

GBC Veteran

I can't say that I've noticed a difference from drivers yet (and let's be optimistic here), but I was out on the A77 last night, a popular cycle route on the southside of Glasgow, and I've never seen numbers like it.

Sadly my own evening ended prematurely with a tyre 'malfunction' - I've no idea what I went over, but although I get the inner tube patched OK, the tyre is a write off.

15. GetAGrip

GetAGrip A cycling abnormally

It was! :wacko:

Shaun likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice