Have you noticed more R.E.S.P.E.C.T whilst you are a C.Y.C.L.I.S.T?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Because I have. I noticed it yesterday and I noticed it again today. And not just from car drivers, either. Two different groups of road-workers either waved me through temp. road-works or told me to go through a temp. red. And, one moron apart today coming out of a gawf club, motorists are seeming to give me more room and show less aggression. Whether it's Wiggins' victory, the impending Olympics or the fact we had a class bike-race here last week as well as a having a local lad who's an Olympic medallist and a current world-record holder on the track, I don't know. Maybe it's a combo of all three factors.

I've also noticed a lot more kids on bikes, one young lad today wearing an HTC kit like the old Cavendish's one. I know it's summer holidays and the weather is good but there is no question there's more riders around.

Noodley

Or maybe you are just attaching some meaning to things you didnae notice before?

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
It's because the sun has come out to play innit.
Im convinced it makes a huge psychological difference. I find the country lanes feel much safer and idyllic when its warm and sunny, the dodgier areas of town seem nice and bright and safe and car drivers seem more chilled out and friendly. Theres probably very little real difference though :smile:

buddha

Veteran
Today I was in a black jersey with white lettering (cheapo wiggle/dhb, not Sky).
I'm doing intervals to hopefully get back some speed I seem to have lost (due to being a fat ar$e) and was 'giving it some' up a 7% incline. When a car pulls up along side and the passenger starts to video me riding up the hill.
I tried to smile and say something intelligible, but was too knackered - and quickly pulled off in to a side road to recover and escape down hill.
Very strange.

Nihal

Veteran
Hah,let the heavens open,so will ther garages to store their bikes for hibernation............or is it aestivation:scratch:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Today I was in a black jersey with white lettering (cheapo wiggle/dhb, not Sky).
I'm doing intervals to hopefully get back some speed I seem to have lost (due to being a fat ar$e) and was 'giving it some' up a 7% incline. When a car pulls up along side and the passenger starts to video me riding up the hill.
I tried to smile and say something intelligible, but was too knackered - and quickly pulled off in to a side road to recover and escape down hill.
Very strange.

That was the audition for Team Cycle Chat.

You failed.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Because I have. I noticed it yesterday and I noticed it again today. And not just from car drivers, either. Two different groups of road-workers either waved me through temp. road-works or told me to go through a temp. red. And, one moron apart today coming out of a gawf club, motorists are seeming to give me more room and show less aggression. Whether it's Wiggins' victory, the impending Olympics or the fact we had a class bike-race here last week as well as a having a local lad who's an Olympic medallist and a current world-record holder on the track, I don't know. Maybe it's a combo of all three factors.

I've also noticed a lot more kids on bikes, one young lad today wearing an HTC kit like the old Cavendish's one. I know it's summer holidays and the weather is good but there is no question there's more riders around.

It is funny you should say that but yes, I got cars passing me wider than usual and I had to wave a couple of cars past that were been very over cautious.

GBC

Veteran
I can't say that I've noticed a difference from drivers yet (and let's be optimistic here), but I was out on the A77 last night, a popular cycle route on the southside of Glasgow, and I've never seen numbers like it.

Sadly my own evening ended prematurely with a tyre 'malfunction' - I've no idea what I went over, but although I get the inner tube patched OK, the tyre is a write off.

Top Bottom