have you seen this helmet site?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spin City

Über Member
Thanks for your reply HJ.

Should I just accept your post as a joke rather than you actually trying to say something useful in this debate?

However, if your post is, in fact, the latter, please advise what 'facts' you deduce from the information provided on the website in question?

Spin City said:
In my view, not a very useful website and I certainly wouldn't trust the information I feel it is trying to impart.

To be fair though I didn't waste much time examining this website too thoroughly. Its stance seemed to be immediately obvious.

Spin City said:

Should I just accept your post as a joke rather than you actually trying to say something useful in this debate?

However, if your post is, in fact, the latter, please advise what 'facts' you deduce from the information provided on the website in question?

Since you didn't examine the website too thoroughly, perhaps you should before passing judgement. You will find a wide range of reference material (or links to it) that will enable you to form your own conclusions on the subject. You don't have to agree with the conclusions drawn by the website, but I would like to see any reasoning you come up with that is different.

I would particularly like to see your interpretation of the Puget Sound studies by Thompson, Rivara & Thompson and the analysis of the Australian data by Robinson.

Spin City said:

You really need to look at the website in detail, and then follow the links. The site is very good at offering information that would allow an informed choice.....

Now if that is the problem and you feel that anything apart from "Helmets are wonderful and cure all known diseases" is wrong then that is a different issue.

Weegie

Spin City said:
In my view, not a very useful website and I certainly wouldn't trust the information I feel it is trying to impart.

To be fair though I didn't waste much time examining this website too thoroughly. Its stance seemed to be immediately obvious.

As Touche and Cunobelin say - the site provides links to some useful research articles & trustworthy publications, essential for anyone who wants to research the topic and draw their own conclusion with an open mind.

For helmet wearers, the site is actually very educational. I personally choose to wear a helmet, but thanks to the site I understand the limitations, and I am far less likely to be a victim of risk compensation (cycling less carefully due to a false sense of security brought on by the helmet itself).

JohnD

When I fell off a few months back, landed on my head... my helmet took the edge off the impact and helped me avoid loosing most of face to the road.

Helmet helped.

I understand, especially if you factor in the confidence factor, how a helmet can increase chance of injury.... but does the study compare severity of injury (haven't read this report) ?

The problem of studies is that they always ask a question and the answer only enlightens that area.

Headway's latest compulsion petition (No 10 site) quotes from a British Dental Journal paper that states unequivocally that Dentists as a profession should be promoting facial protection in helmets.

So with a Charity pushing compulsion now implying full face as the compulsory helmet of choice?

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Spin City said:

As has already been said, either you obviously haven't bothered to read anything on the site or you aren't actually interested in informed debate of the subject, just spin...

Your user name does rather imply that you just interested in spin.

JohnD said:
When I fell off a few months back, landed on my head... my helmet took the edge off the impact and helped me avoid loosing most of face to the road.

Helmet helped.

I understand, especially if you factor in the confidence factor, how a helmet can increase chance of injury.... but does the study compare severity of injury (haven't read this report) ?

Which study are you referring to?

If you go to the site being talked about you will find links to a number of studies that examine various aspects of the helmet issue. I have no idea if any do an analysis that includes the severity of injury, but don't let that stop you looking for one. If you find one, by all means let us know what conclusions it came to, what risks on the conclusion any peer review produced and your own interpretation of the data, results and conclusion.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Not a comment on the helmet site specifically but more for general purposes of evaluating newspaper and website publications.

I think that Ben Goldacre's book provides some useful information to make at lease some personal judgement of the presentation of research findings. Well worth a read.

John

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
HJ said:
As has already been said, either you obviously haven't bothered to read anything on the site or you aren't actually interested in informed debate of the subject, just spin...

Your user name does rather imply that you just interested in spin.

OT but Spin has more than one connotation and at least one more relevant to cycling than the relative recent appropriation of the word to mean Political Dishonesty. just a thought before you hang your argument on someones choice of anonymous username.

Right now I shouldn't be in bed, but should be on my roof looking for the small leak dripping into my loft. Ironic eh?

Anyway onto topic.

Older helmets tend to offer more protection because they were bigger, thicker and had less vents than the microlight 20+ hole modern things- hence more structure around your head to absorb an impact with.

Also all the studies for and against won't make a scrap of difference to the majority of people, who will use other purely subjective assessments relevant to themselves.

I got one initially as I thought it was the right thing to do and wore it if I remembered to pick it up in the morning, until I went over a car and landed pretty much top of my head first on the road. When the medics took my helmet off it was in several pieces under the plastic shell. Several medically qualified people that looked at me in hospital told me it was the difference between a fractured skull with brain injury or just a big concussion.

therefore I wear a helmet all the time now. Other people haven't had the same accident or don't want to have helmet hair or are happily convinced by the helmets are no use argument, good luck to them, they do their thing, I'll do mine.

We might as well be arguing about our favourite colour or which shape pasta cooks best.

al78

Guru
shouldbeinbed said:
When the medics took my helmet off it was in several pieces under the plastic shell. Several medically qualified people that looked at me in hospital told me it was the difference between a fractured skull with brain injury or just a big concussion.

Medics are not qualified in materials science therefore their opinion about the effectiveness of your helmet is outside their expertise and is no more valid than anyone elses. It would be like expecting someone who repairs car bodywork for a living to be an authority on accident prevention.

shouldbeinbed said:
I got one initially as I thought it was the right thing to do and wore it if I remembered to pick it up in the morning, until I went over a car and landed pretty much top of my head first on the road. When the medics took my helmet off it was in several pieces under the plastic shell. Several medically qualified people that looked at me in hospital told me it was the difference between a fractured skull with brain injury or just a big concussion.

.. and the same is true of a pedestrian in the same accident - does this prove therefore the need for pedestrian helmets?

Top Bottom