have you seen this helmet site?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
found this site

www.cyclehelmets.org

it seems to suggest that, statistically, cycle helmet wearing actually increases the chance of injury.

this guy reckons he works in a lab and his job is safety. do you think this site is legit and his views and evidence are to be believed?

in one case he was involved in it was proved that even with no forward momentum (i.e., stationary, not moving) a helmet did not protect the helmet wearer at all.

he reckons the only helmets that are actually any good are to snell standards, but they haven't been made since the early 90's due to the competitive nature of companies having to cut back on materials to stay in business.

what do you think?

adscrim

Veteran
The only sure way to protect yourself from injury through falling is to lie on you back on the ground. Even then, you are not fully protected from people or things falling on you.

What do I think - helmet yes, compulsion no.

I wear a helmet because I have fallen over while standing still. I've also managed to flick a bike up in the air and produce a neat row of deep chain-ring marks on the top of a helmet. If I'm involved in a crash at speed or with a large heavy object moving at speed, my helmet will not stop me praying to whom so ever may be listening.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
He references papers and studies from both sides of the argument, as I recall.

Read them, (and perhaps a guide to interpreting scientific papers, like this) and make your own mind up.

SavageHoutkop said:
From the infallible Wikipedia,

"currently, Specialized is the only bicycle helmet brand in the world to meet the Snell standard. All of their helmets are Snell certified."

Even then it is a reduced B90 not the classic B95.

Most helmets today offer less protection than those of 10 - 15 years ago.

There is a fulllist of all the manafacturers that are Snell certified onthe Snell website

Matty

Cunobelin said:
Even then it is a reduced B90 not the classic B95.

Most helmets today offer less protection than those of 10 - 15 years ago.

There is a fulllist of all the manafacturers that are Snell certified onthe Snell website

Result, my extremely manky Giro Hammerhead from approx 1990 is not worth replacing. Retro rules.

grrr.. yes, just checked the box for my helmet, it's got on it the Snell logo but all it's admitting to is "compliance with one or more of the following" and then it lists Snell as well as several others!

Spin City

Über Member
In my view, not a very useful website and I certainly wouldn't trust the information I feel it is trying to impart.

To be fair though I didn't waste much time examining this website too thoroughly. Its stance seemed to be immediately obvious.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Spin City said:
In my view, not a very useful website and I certainly wouldn't trust the information I feel it is trying to impart.

To be fair though I didn't waste much time examining this website too thoroughly. Its stance seemed to be immediately obvious.

Well your user name implies that you are not really interested in the facts...

Top Bottom