Have you struggled to get a tradesman lately ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

newts

Veteran
Also its a lack of skills as the Collages that trained people are decimated from the changes started with Tony Blair's push to get them into Uni. I see plenty of people doing short courses to work in the tree surgery trade, but the level of training is very low, no plant knowledge, no science to form a basis to work from. Local painter says he has to train his own guys as there is no courses any where near.
Many of the technical colleges are only about tick boxes & self promotion.
Miminum effort on teaching basic skills properly, students see through the lack of engagement quickly & lose interest/leave the industry.

Gillstay

Über Member
Many of the technical colleges are only about tick boxes & self promotion.
Miminum effort on teaching basic skills properly, students see through the lack of engagement quickly & lose interest/leave the industry.
Yes well as they have no money they have no choices as they cannot get good staff just to start with the basics. Very sad state of affairs.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Ah yes subsidised by the tax payer (possibly including but not necessarily the tradesmen employed) :whistle: ;)
It’s an interesting situation. Several years ago I was looking at the council tax breakdown for where I live and realised that the income from Council house rents far exceeded the annual maintenance costs plus the staff costs to run the department. The houses had been built in the 1950’s for a few thousand pounds and the original building costs had already been repaid many times over. The income from that initial investment had certainly paid dividends as it now helping to subsidise the council tax of the private home owners.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I don't know if people are aware but there are a lot of DIY videos done by tradespeople on You Tube which are very helpful if you fancy having a go at something yourself. Obviously if its a massive job that's complicated it might be a bit much if you haven't done much previously, but a lot of things you can do yourself.

Gillstay

Über Member
I don't know if people are aware but there are a lot of DIY videos done by tradespeople on You Tube which are very helpful if you fancy having a go at something yourself. Obviously if its a massive job that's complicated it might be a bit much if you haven't done much previously, but a lot of things you can do yourself.
Yep, and you can also watch the video's of when it goes wrong with things like tree felling.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I see plenty of people doing short courses to work in the tree surgery trade, but the level of training is very low
I took this photo just the other day. The tree opposite. I'm sure a hefty fee will have been charged - she works in the City.
1624033754354.png

We watched, aghast, as they basically went straight across with chainsaws at about 20 foot, and that was that.

Bet they're booked up for months.

Top Bottom