Haven't done much cycling lately

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi and hope you're all well.
This year my cycling enthusiasm has really gone to the wayside and I've hardly used the the road bike. I've started to get really bored of using the same roads and lanes and the traffic has put me off.Theres been no bad experiences of late involving traffic, but for some reason the older I get ,the less tolerant i have become and somehow feel more vulnerable to it.I hate having cars and trucks buzzing past me nowadays,I just seem to enjoy it anymore
As expected my weight has increased slightly and feel a little self conscious of vac packing my self into my lycra road bike gear nowadays.
However I do miss getting out into the wonderful countryside and feel in missing out on it.
However in the garden shed I do have a MTB that's not to bad spec.Its a Boardman bike that's just been sat there there gathering dust.
I've been thinking of getting it out and recommissioning it.It just needs a couple of inner tubes and the knobby tyre's I've got squirreled away fitting and a good lubricating.
I'm feeling quite enthusiastic about getting back on it and to explore the amazing canal and a stop off at a local pub whilst feeling comfortable in more leisurely clothing.Hopfully this will get me back into the swing of things again as I really need to get out of this routine I'm in at the moment of being all work and no play.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
Snap, although injury was first thing to put me off the bike, but I have allowed work to become the most important part of my life again, something I've always been guilty off in the past.

That said, I'm off out now for a very leisurely 25 miler.

Who knows when I'll be back. :okay:

Mike_P

Guru
Set yourself an objective. Collecting something be it villages names in alphabetical order, churches, pubs or whatever. You will probably need to cycle to places you wouldn't have thought of otherwise.
This year is a pain with too many overly wet or excessively windy and the few that are okay are then typically needed for other tasks.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Just spent an hour giving it a good clean down.Dusty ,grimey and rusty like me.
The disc brakes seem to be working ok (probably work better after a bit of use once the surface rust is cleaned off the discs.Just going to pop out now and buy some new tubes, a bit of oil and it should be good to go (famous last words).
I think I'm going to enjoy my ride out later on if it all goes to plan

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Grrrr all good plans never happen.Jumped into the car only to be met with an electrical issue,so that's taking up my Sunday afternoon tracking it down.Still got to get the food shopping so I think my nice MTB ride will have to wait for today

Slick

Guru
Snap, although injury was first thing to put me off the bike, but I have allowed work to become the most important part of my life again, something I've always been guilty off in the past.

That said, I'm off out now for a very leisurely 25 miler.

Who knows when I'll be back. :okay:

Well, I made it back with 22.7 slow miles under my belt without too much stress. A shortened route of my old 50k route and pretty flat, but I managed to complete it with only minimal hip and groin pain as I sit here. I'm keen to do the John Muir way either this month or next, so I would like to regain some of my fitness before tackling that.

Slick

Guru
Grrrr all good plans never happen.Jumped into the car only to be met with an electrical issue,so that's taking up my Sunday afternoon tracking it down.Still got to get the food shopping so I think my nice MTB ride will have to wait for today

I was looking out my window just before I left, and the train passed, the one with the fancy new bike carriage all painted up as such heading north. Can you jump a train and cycle back if your local routes are boring you?

I think that this isn't the first time you've posted about feeling a lack of enthusiasm for the bike?

I'm pretty sure that this rings a bell?
I really need to get out of this routine I'm in at the moment of being all work and no play.
Maybe the lack of enthusiasm for getting out is less the problem but more of a symptom of something bigger?

@Mike_P has some good suggestions. @Slick 's idea of a train is a good one too.

A good route planner can help keep you away from the busy stuff. I recommend Cycle.Travel.

There's no law that says you have to wear lycra! ^_^

If you're used to measuring yourself maybe lay off that for a while.

Taking photos is a great way to make us look for interesting things and are a nice reminder of what we achieved and where we went.

Maybe at the end of a ride, assuming you get out, take a little while to actively remember (or even write down) what you enjoyed. It will probably make the next ride easier to start.

Have you considered a cycling buddy?

A bike can be practical too. Doing errands, visiting, maybe commuting sometimes, if possible.

I have really come to love riding in places that I can read about. Maybe a trip to the local library or a search online will throw up some interesting history or culture that you can put a place to on the bike?

By the way, it's always possible that cycling just doesn't do it for you anymore. Probably blasphemy to say on a bike forum ^_^ It might be no harm to have a think about if there's anything else you'd be interested in doing. Keep the bikes though!

Best of luck!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Top Bottom