Haven't got a corkscrew?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LocalLad

I am rarely far from a corkscrew.

In fact, I checked into a hotel for work tonight, ordered room service and they forgot to bring a spoon for dessert. Not a problem, I also bring a full cutlery set for just such occasions.

446a1848-dad1-4941-9fae-86a273f6b356.jpg

I had one of these in the 70's but without the poncy needle protector :smile:

Shaun

Many years ago, I was a Leading Hand and duty on Christmas Day at the Royal Naval Hospital in Plymouth

On one of the wards they had some wine, but no bottle opener, so my brilliant idea was a 60 ml syringe and a spinal needle.

Just as I was opening it, the Commanding Officer came round. So I was stood there with this bottle of wine behind me

He looked at me with a straight face..
Leading Hand - are you going to hide that bottle of wine or open it and offer me a glass..

0lonerider

Veteran
Yes, you unravel a wire coat hanger and make a hook to pull it up. Also useful for getting socks out from behind a radiator, or sticking through the letter box to pull the latch when locked out.
Good idea, I best way I found is using a cotton hankie or dish cloth twisted up like string and fed into the bottle, then turn the bottle upsidedown so the cork is at the shoulder touching the cloth then pull the cloth and it pulls the cork with it

Last edited by a moderator:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Good UOTE="Adrian, post: 4167773, member: 1252"]Yes, you unravel a wire coat hanger and make a hook to pull it up. Also useful for getting socks out from behind a radiator, or sticking through the letter box to pull the latch when locked out.
Good idea, I best way I found is using a cotton hankie or dish cloth twisted up like string and fed into the bottle, then turn the bottle upsidedown so the cork is at the shoulder touching the cloth then pull the cloth and it pulls the cork with it
I don't know about you lot, but after using wire coat hangers for all sorts of things for they weren't designed , I've almost run out of the things. Where on earth can you still buy them? I tried basic but the Poundland hereabouts (They've moved the 99p Stores, so that now counts as an expedition.) only seem to sell wooden hangers. Which is great for hanging clothes up with, I suppose, but they're no use as remote hooking devices. My wire paper clips are disappearing too.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Apologies for being OT but ...
Where on earth can you still buy them?
Last place I knew to get them was a dry cleaners - they usually give your your clothes on them. :okay:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Yes, you unravel a wire coat hanger and make a hook to pull it up. Also useful for getting socks out from behind a radiator, or sticking through the letter box to pull the latch when locked out.
They also quite good for lifting up the door locks of cars from the outside, fishing for electrical cables in floor and wall voids and a whole lot else. Liam Neeson used one for suspending a saline drip bag from a light fitting in "Taken".

Chromatic

Legendary Member
I don't know about you lot, but after using wire coat hangers for all sorts of things for they weren't designed , I've almost run out of the things. Where on earth can you still buy them? I tried basic but the Poundland hereabouts (They've moved the 99p Stores, so that now counts as an expedition.) only seem to sell wooden hangers. Which is great for hanging clothes up with, I suppose, but they're no use as remote hooking devices. My wire paper clips are disappearing too.

Apologies for being OT but ...Last place I knew to get them was a dry cleaners - they usually give your your clothes on them. :okay:

Yes, we've got loads here from laundering of our lab coats. I'll take orders if you want some.

Tim Hall

I am rarely far from a corkscrew.

In fact, I checked into a hotel for work tonight, ordered room service and they forgot to bring a spoon for dessert. Not a problem, I also bring a full cutlery set for just such occasions.
My parents have a corkscrew (waiter's friend sort of thing) that they found in the drawer of the bedside table at an hotel. We call it the Gideon's Corkscrew.

Top Bottom