Having a cardio stent fitted - recovery - anyone had this???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
sorry to drag an 6 year old thread back up but I wanted to check in on you guys and see how you're doing 6 years on?
I'm 35 and had to have a stent fitted November last year which was a bit of a shock considering I've never smoked, don't drink much and have no real family historyof heart problems. I'm doing ok, fitness wise im probably better than I was before the stent and have a 100km sportive this weekend

You'll be fine, just a bit of faulty arterial plumbing, now sorted!
Getting on for 6 years on from my last stents my heart's operating well, and I've had no recurrence of symptoms, and for most of the time my cycling was back at pre-stenting levels, and I've felt fitter than ever.
However, I'm twice your age, and other arteries are now developing symptoms. I now have almost completely blocked arteries in my legs - mentioned in other TFH threads - which has all but stopped me cycling, but that's another story.
Good luck and enjoy the sportive.

D

Deleted member 1258

You'll be fine, just a bit of faulty arterial plumbing, now sorted!
Getting on for 6 years on from my last stents my heart's operating well, and I've had no recurrence of symptoms, and for most of the time my cycling was back at pre-stenting levels, and I've felt fitter than ever.
However, I'm twice your age, and other arteries are now developing symptoms. I now have almost completely blocked arteries in my legs - mentioned in other TFH threads - which has all but stopped me cycling, but that's another story.
Good luck and enjoy the sportive.

2008 angina 4 stents fitted, 2016 heart attack 1 stent fitted, I'm now in good shape, a bit slower than I was but going well and in fine fettle.

frank9755

Cyclist
I'm about to qualify to join the club. I had an angiogram yesterday and it revealed several narrowings. It looks like I'll have to have a bypass and 4 or 5 stents.
They can do the bypass via keyhole surgery so my recovery should be quicker than having to have my rib cage opened up.
Don't know what I'll be able to do afterwards, but will just wait and see. I was going to do the TCR this year, but I didn't bother mentioning it to the cardiologist when he told me what he'd found!

D

Deleted member 1258

I'm about to qualify to join the club. I had an angiogram yesterday and it revealed several narrowings. It looks like I'll have to have a bypass and 4 or 5 stents.
They can do the bypass via keyhole surgery so my recovery should be quicker than having to have my rib cage opened up.
Don't know what I'll be able to do afterwards, but will just wait and see. I was going to do the TCR this year, but I didn't bother mentioning it to the cardiologist when he told me what he'd found!

Welcome to the club.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'm about to qualify to join the club. I had an angiogram yesterday and it revealed several narrowings...

No doubt you’re still taking in the news. Try to look at this positively in that a problem has been found which can be fixed. It may sound daft but looking back I’m “pleased” I had a heart attack - my problem was found and sorted.

Don't know what I'll be able to do afterwards, but will just wait and see.!

I had a single stent, well two but these are joined to make one, after a heart attack. The improvements have been significant. Take and act on all the advice you’re given and you should make a strong recovery.

frank9755

Cyclist
No doubt you’re still taking in the news. Try to look at this positively in that a problem has been found which can be fixed.

Absolutely, to both of those. It was a bit of a surprise and a distraction. Hard to focus on mundane stuff, like the work I should finish off before the operation!
But, as you say, it is good to have it picked up and dealt with before rather than after a heart attack.

It looks like I will get it done next Thursday, as long as the cold I've developed shifts by then.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Absolutely, to both of those. It was a bit of a surprise and a distraction. Hard to focus on mundane stuff, like the work I should finish off before the operation!
But, as you say, it is good to have it picked up and dealt with before rather than after a heart attack.

It looks like I will get it done next Thursday, as long as the cold I've developed shifts by then.
All the very best Frank. I was back on the bike after about six weeks and noticed a big difference. With keyhole surgery it'll probably be a lot sooner, but whatever you do, listen to what the cardiologists say.

Edit: If you are booked in to Hammersmith Hospital, please send my best wishes to the post-op crew. Simply wonderful people.

Last edited:
Top Bottom