Having a cardio stent fitted - recovery - anyone had this???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

Would you believe - its back on.
Anti-biotics and a call from the profs secretary as they don't want to leave it to end of march (that worries me a bit!)

Still better sooner than later AND you get shot of me all Friday while I'm in.

Good news

OP
OP
TonyEnjoyD

TonyEnjoyD

Guru
Hi al,

Thnx again for all your kind responses and advice.
Op went well and I felt grotty as hell yesterday but starting feel better and more balanced today. Can't drive for a week and advised a further week before cycling, but hopefully really pick up from there.
Lots more new drugs (ace inhibitors and anti-clotting etc) so can't enter the TDF just yet as i'd fail the drugs test :laugh:.

Tony

D

Deleted member 1258

Hi al,

Thnx again for all your kind responses and advice.
Op went well and I felt grotty as hell yesterday but starting feel better and more balanced today. Can't drive for a week and advised a further week before cycling, but hopefully really pick up from there.
Lots more new drugs (ace inhibitors and anti-clotting etc) so can't enter the TDF just yet as i'd fail the drugs test :laugh:.

Tony
Sounds like a great result, listen to the doctors, listen to your body and ease your way back into things.

OP
OP
TonyEnjoyD

TonyEnjoyD

Guru
No worries Slowmotion.
As well as getting its good to see its helping others.
After a 2-week rest i started cycling back into work - 5-miles each way, and found it was ok and just started to build up after that.
If your mate is going for a stent, tell them that's it's internal trauma so expect some recuperation.
Their fitness will come back, hopefully better.

I found the biggest obstacle was the psychological effect. Took me a while to get over some barriers, one notable being a 40 miler with my wife on my roadie and me on my MTB.
one climb of about 2 miles, relatively low grade but prior to the stent I was out of breath half way...4 weeks after the stent I sailed it.

Tony

D

Deleted member 1258

No worries Slowmotion.
As well as getting its good to see its helping others.
After a 2-week rest i started cycling back into work - 5-miles each way, and found it was ok and just started to build up after that.
If your mate is going for a stent, tell them that's it's internal trauma so expect some recuperation.
Their fitness will come back, hopefully better.

I found the biggest obstacle was the psychological effect. Took me a while to get over some barriers, one notable being a 40 miler with my wife on my roadie and me on my MTB.
one climb of about 2 miles, relatively low grade but prior to the stent I was out of breath half way...4 weeks after the stent I sailed it.

Tony

I agree with Tony, once back on the bike listen to your body and gently build up the effort and fitness, mine were done in 2008 and though I'm a lot better than I was in the year leading up to having the stents fitted I'm only about 90-95% of the fitness I had at my peak, I'm 60 now so I'm happy with that. I've been ill this year, in the spring, something totally different and nothing to do with the heart, so I've been on the come back trail again this summer.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Two new stents fitted last week to add to the 3 I had 7 years ago - itching to get back on the bike, just walks for a week or so - felt pretty fit beforehand - I rode 20 miles the night before the procedure, 60 miles last Sunday. Went in for the angiogram (then angioplasty) last Wednesday after experiencing some discomfort earlier in the year in my chest on hard rides - but without my history I would probably not have even consulted my GP. Agree - the message is, listen to your body - you know it best. Just hope the medication doesn't slow me down too much.

OP
OP
TonyEnjoyD

TonyEnjoyD

Guru
Two new stents fitted last week to add to the 3 I had 7 years ago - itching to get back on the bike, just walks for a week or so - felt pretty fit beforehand - I rode 20 miles the night before the procedure, 60 miles last Sunday. Went in for the angiogram (then angioplasty) last Wednesday after experiencing some discomfort earlier in the year in my chest on hard rides - but without my history I would probably not have even consulted my GP. Agree - the message is, listen to your body - you know it best. Just hope the medication doesn't slow me down too much.
Hope you're back to full fitness own youngoldbloke
Tony

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Good reading here. I'm waiting for an appoinment for a 'Stress Test' as have had some signs that I may have some further clogging-up going on :sad: In any respect I guess with my history it's inevitable that I'd have to have either more stents or a bypass ... C'est la vie!

Hey, maybe we need a 'stented heart cyclist' club shirt :laugh:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Thanks Tony ED - feeling fine, just felt 'kicked about' for a couple of days - maybe the reaction to the contrast medium and various drugs pumped into you during the procedure, anyway 'convalesence' good excuse to chill out and watch the World road race champs - most of it too! Have decided I now move to a virtually fat free diet - having tried to be good and follow a low fat one. (No more cake at the cake stop :cry:). Cycling certainly helps - I've never felt fitter, have been doing around 5000 miles a year last few years, next couple of weeks are going to put a dent in this year's mileage though. Looking forward to the rehab course - plenty of circuit style exercise - should keep me flexible :thumbsup:. Good luck FF - hope they sort you out - it is all less stressful (!) 2nd time around - you know what to expect - it was 3rd time for me as I also had 2 balloon angioplasties in the early '90s.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
If you feel good ride, had a couple of stents fiitted a couple of months ago, was back on the bike 11 days later doing 20 mile rides then built back up to normal, saw the doc last week and he said i have done it right, a few years ago you were probably told not to do anything for 6 weeks, but today we are being told to just get on with it, but as said at the beginning if you feel good ride.^_^

Davidc

Guru
If its a bypass FF you should still be back on a bike afterwards. I was banned from mine for 12 weeks, and with the instruction to build up gradually and work towards more than before. Since then I've met plenty of others who've either gone back to or taken up cycling after a bypass. You can't cycle or lift or swim until the sternum has healed back together jas otherwise you could come apart (and that's fatal)

Agree totally with you FF about warming up. Since I had the heart attack and bypass I can do most things I want to provided I start and end gradually. Forget to do that and I can knobble myself for the day in the first 5 minutes.

I think the important thing after any of these operations is to just do as you're told and discuss anything you need to with GP, cardiologist etc.

I can't order one of your shirts - never had a stent. How about the Cycle Chat Dicky Tickers? (with apologies to Allo Allo)

Top Bottom