Having a good sorting out with the bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi,
I've managed to get 5 days holiday off this week (the first holiday since Christmas gone) and sods law the weather hasn't been too kind.
So whilst it's been less than perfect cycling weather, I thought I'd give the bike some TLC. First off was the free hub,
I noticed early this year that the rear cassette had a fair old wobble in it, I understand that they should have a small amount of play but mine has got that bad it's starting to affect the gear changes. Also the usual clicking associated with the free hub sounds awful sometimes so I've opted for a new free hub.
With the rear wheel off it was a good opportunity to get in all the nooks and crannies and give the chain/front rear derailleurs a thorough clean.It was absolutely minging but with a good de grease it's looking like new again.
I then turned my attention to the front tyre. It's only done around a thousand miles but lately I've noticed it's not quite been sitting right on the rim. With the bike upside down and a spin of the wheel I've spotted the tyre has bulged slightly on the side wall (Schwalbe lugano 2).
So that's definitely being replaced tomorrow as I don't fancy that failing whilst doing an impression of Chris Froome (a bad one at that) coming down the Horseshoe Pass.
The bike is looking a little sorry for it self in pieces in the kitchen at the moment,but hopefully tomorrow it will be all back together again just in time for when I go back to work on Saturday.

Top Bottom