Having a pee in your own backgarden

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sheddy

Legendary Member
back garden - yes
front garden - no

lazybloke

Considering a new username
It's good for the lawn, completely harmless to humans and animals, more eco friendly than flushing it away, and while humans can't smell it, cats can, and they don't like it, so they're less likely to use your lawn as a toilet.

All good.
Humans can't smell it? Clearly you have never visited the toilet at Solstice services KFC, or any lorry park between Calais & Antwerp!

It's good for the lawn, completely harmless to humans and animals, more eco friendly than flushing it away, and while humans can't smell it, cats can, and they don't like it, so they're less likely to use your lawn as a toilet.

All good.

There is a school of thought that we should use humanure toilets (ie, a bucket and a compost heap) for this very reason. Composting breaks down the dangerous bugs in the poo either using heat or time and makes it safe & usable as compost, whereas flushing the stuff away with drinking water seems a bit daft.

Happy World Toilet day...

PaulSB

Legendary Member
There is a school of thought that we should use humanure toilets (ie, a bucket and a compost heap) for this very reason. Composting breaks down the dangerous bugs in the poo either using heat or time and makes it safe & usable as compost, whereas flushing the stuff away with drinking water seems a bit daft.
Happy World Toilet day...

Approximately one million tonnes of sewage sludge is produced annually by the UK water industry. It is treated for a variety of contaminants before being sold in to UK agriculture which is how the bulk is disposed of. There are some stiff regulations farmers must follow.

The Scottish whisky industry doesn't accept barley produced on land fertilised this way.

I always pee on my compost heap when I'm working the allotment. For the public to attempt disposing of faeces on a compost heap would be both highly dangerous and irresponsible. It's not easy to manage a domestic compost heap to reach the needed conditions.

Last edited:

slowwww

Veteran
I regularly pee on the compost heap as this add nitrogen and helps break down the vegetable matter.

It's right at the bottom of the garden and screened on all sides by hedges, but my seclusion is not always guaranteed as if spied by one of my daughters as I set off down the garden I tend to get a rousing chorus of "we know what you're doing!!".

Approximately one million tonnes of sewage sludge is produced annually by the UK water industry. It is treated for a variety of contaminants before being sold in to UK agriculture which is how the bulk is disposed of. There are some stiff regulations farmers must follow.

The Scottish whisky industry doesn't accept barley produced on land fertilised this way.

I always pee on my compost heap when I'm working the allotment. For the public to attempt disposing of faeces on a compost heap would be both highly dangerous and irresponsible. It's not easy to manage a domestic compost heap to reach the needed conditions.

Read The Humanure Handbook. It is a very clear and in depth method for this, based on experience and a lot of scientific theory. In particular they differentiate between a compost toilet and a long drop toilet, which is dangerous, and also between sewage sludge, which as you say has all manner of nasties contained therein, and would be very difficult for individuals to safely dispose of, and Humanure, which doesn't. I also have a friend who lived more than a decade with a bucket/compost combo unsing this method. He reported that he never smelled poo at home but regularly smelled it at work.

Of course, trusting that everyone follows the correct proceedure is another matter, as anyone who has used a portaloo on a building site will testify. But it can be done safely.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

All good.

I don't pee on the lawn directly but I do save it up for the lawn. As you mention, some animals don't like the smell of male human urine. I have a badger problem: there's several setts nearby and they come into the garden and dig up the lawn looking for leather jackets, beetles etc

So I pee in a watering can in the garden. Then I use it to water the grass. Seems to work

Globalti

Legendary Member
Why do you think there are always big clumps of nettles along human thoroughfares, at field gates and so on? It's where working men used to stop on their way home after slaking their thirst in one of many village pubs, enriching the soil with nitrates, which nettles love.

I used to pee on the compost then one day I found an old bird's nest. It was hopping with fleas so Mrs Gti told me to burn it but as usual I ignored her and threw it on the compost. Soon after that I started getting itchy bites in the groin area and the reason became clear one day when I looked down and saw dozens of fleas jumping into my open fly for some human blood. Mrs Gti went absolutely bonkers and insisted on having the entire house sprayed. Oops.

Top Bottom