Having your light's on for a daylight commute ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrs M

Guru
I always have lights on in the rain and if it's a bit dull (most of the time then) :sad:
We call the DRL's on cars "fairy lights". :smile:

G3CWI

Veteran
These days I always have a nice bright red flashing light at the back. I started doing this when I saw a member on a club run with one and was amazed at how much it increased her visibility - in ordinary daylight and 200m ahead. Lezayne Micro Drive.

Does it make any difference to my safety? No idea.

I should add that this is in a rural environment. I'm guessing that it would be less noticeable in a city.

I have lights on all the time. Flashing front and rear.

Even with good light, it's easy to blend away into the background on a small bicycle.

Recycle

Über Member
The indicator stalk is an optional extra though.
Probably better to do away with them completely. I drove behind a high value German car a few weeks ago which indicated left then turned right. They haven't quite got the hang of it & with all the best intentions they they get confused when given the option.

Reactions: gaz

DRHysted

Guru
2 of my bikes have dyno hubs, so as soon as I'm moving they're working.
I do tend to use my rear all the times on my other bikes, as when going in and out of shadows caused by rural trees you can lose sight of a cyclist easily. In dusk or poor lighting (bad weather) I will also turn the front on as well, but then I turn the car lights on in those situations as well.

Top Bottom