"Hawkshead Brewery Tour" an 80ish mile meander along the quiet lanes of N Lancs/S Cumbria 28 April

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

italiafirenze

World's Greatest Spy
I'm maybe 85% of where I was last April fitness wise, but I'm a stone heavier, which is the killer on a route like this with most of the hills being short but steep, very attritional for a fat boy, so my "performance" is maybe 65% of what it was!

Let's hope Steve (and others) can make it, if not I'll meet you at the station (how romantic) ;-)

Oh and following on from the Puddleducks debacle, I can promise great coffee and scrumptious scones (yes, really) at the brew stop in Grange!

The punchy climbs suit me better than the long drags so I'll be happier with that. I'll take my phone in case of emergency bail out.

Would I need to bring £10 for coffee and cake like I would at puddleducks?

What's the list then you, me and colinJ?

it's on the b/h weekend, so maybe a mini tour for me? ride up, stay over, ride the ride and stay over then ride home. or get a train or lift. dunno yet, but it's possible.

+1 Quite fancy riding up on the Friday, camping,then cycle home on the Sunday.

Does anyone know of a nice campsite in the general area of the start? Edit New Parkside Farm looks fairly decent.

OP
OP
Ajay

Ajay

Veteran
+1 Quite fancy riding up on the Friday, camping,then cycle home on the Sunday.

Does anyone know of a nice campsite in the general area of the start? Edit New Parkside Farm looks fairly decent.
Sounds like a plan OFF!
I've not stayed at New Parkside, but I understand it's a clean, decent, no-frills site and you could hardly be any closer to the start/finish of the ride!
Hope you can make it :-)

OP
OP
Ajay

Ajay

Veteran
The punchy climbs suit me better than the long drags so I'll be happier with that. I'll take my phone in case of emergency bail out.

Would I need to bring £10 for coffee and cake like I would at puddleducks?

What's the list then you, me and colinJ?
I had coffee n scone at Grange then soup n pot of tea at Staveley and still had change out of a tenner!

Me, you, Colin and my mate Pete on the list so far.
I'm sure some of those members from south Lankysher and beyond will leave their smog and pollution behind for a day and join us for a ride in the fresh air :-)

Alun

Guru
Ajay, thanks for the heads up about this. I hadn't noted it as I've got a ride on the same day with some friends I don't see very often.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Surely it's the day after? Just a quick train ride and you're ready to go? Sleep is for the weak, sleep whilst you ride, that's what Anquetil did.
Er we'll be arriving in Hull about 8am on the Saturday, so I'd have to be able to get from Hull to Lancaster (and ride to the start) in one hour.

Steve H

Large Member
Hope you can make it Steve - how are the war wounds btw?

I'm doing well thanks Ajay. I was off the bike for around 3-4 weeks, so I lost a bit of fitness and went back up above 17 stone again, but I'm getting back on track again now. I'm doing the Cheshire Cat in a couple of weeks time and the Spring into the Dales audax in mid April, so as long as the missus lets me out for your ride at the end of April, I should have enough legs to get round!

OP
OP
Ajay

Ajay

Veteran
Perhaps I have undersold the route by describing it as a meander - let me point out that this is a fantastic varied ride, spending much of its time in 2 AONBs and a National Park, utilising stretches of regional and national cycling networks, on roads used by at least 4 Sportives that I can think of off the top of my head (and I'm not charging you £30), with minimal traffic. The brew stops are top quality and the weather will be warm and sunny.
Any more takers?

Top Bottom