"Hawkshead Brewery Tour" an 80ish mile meander along the quiet lanes of N Lancs/S Cumbria 28 April

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Ajay

Ajay

Veteran
The Cannondale it is then! If I'm forced to walk a few yards, it will be worth it for having a really nice bike to ride the rest of the time. My Basso is not bad, but I do enjoy the Cannondale more. (I'll keep the Basso in reserve in case of bad weather.)

I've just had a close look at the route. There a couple of places where it loops back on itself for no apparent reason. I'm assuming one of those little loops takes us to the brewery? Perhaps the others were to cafes, or did you just take some wrong turns on the recce ride? :whistle:
It is designed as a "loopy" ride ;-) rather than an A to B, I did put Meander in the title for a reason! (ridden in a roughly clockwise direction). It kinda makes sense to me when you factor in the main roads and topography.We only retrace our wheel tracks twice on the ride; the first/last mile or so and a short stretch to the cafe at Grange O Sands. The brewery/cafe/Wheelbase are all together at Staveley, the northernmost point of the ride. The route through the urban hell that is downtown Kendal looks a bit messy due to the one way system and cycle path not plotting properly. Other than that the route looks ok - did you spot some other glitches?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
No, I didn't mean the big meandering loops - I meant the doubling back on the same road type. 2 of them are to cafes then, but there are 3 in Kendal that looked a bit odd. I thought perhaps there was something down those roads that you wanted to show us (or you'd gone the wrong way)!

OP
OP
Ajay

Ajay

Veteran
It's a manually plotted route rather than downloaded from the actual ride, yes, it's thrown in a few Kendal sidestreets as I tried to follow the NCN 6 through Kendal, just ignore them!

ColinJ

It has certainly opened up my eyes to what is possible for me if I am prepared to buy a Lancashire Day Ranger ticket and spend about 3 hours travelling with my bike. Not being a driver, I am always looking for affordable ways of extending my range. (Yes, I know - touring! I must give it a go one day. :thumbsup: )

Ajay, barring unforeseen circumstances I am now definite for this ride and really looking forward to it. I've also invited my mate Nick, from Kendal to join us and he is up for it too. Now all you have to do is make sure we don't get lost and arrange for some stunning weather ;)

OP
OP
Ajay

Ajay

Veteran
Nice one STASS, I was getting worried it might just be me and Colin :ohmy: lol.
We won't get lost (not now with Nick to guide us around Kendal), I've put my order in for the sunshine, but haven't had the confirmation back yet.

ColinJ

Nice one STASS, I was getting worried it might just be me and Colin :ohmy: lol.
Yes - good to hear that, STASS!

Still no confirmation from Steve H, but bromptonfb has contacted me and said that if he can get his wife's car for the day, he will give me a lift. If not, we will come in by train together, unless of course Steve is coming in which case, we might all turn up together! :thumbsup:

I'm still hoping to to tour up there but it will be dependent on a favorable weather forecast

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
i'm still in but will probably be on the brompton due to above posts, doesn't sound fixie friendly. colin, 90% sure it'll be by train. i need to get some details off you.

Yep - apologies Ajay, but I am out for this one. Just started a new job, and I'm going to have to work away from home a bit more, so will need to put in more 'family time' at the weekends.

Hope you all have a good day.
Disappointed to read this, Steve, but quite understand. Hope the new job goes well.

Top Bottom