"Hawkshead Brewery Tour" an 80ish mile meander along the quiet lanes of N Lancs/S Cumbria 28 April

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Here's the finalised route http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=380309
I've tweeked the return from Kendal - taking out the long slog of the old Kirkby Lonsdale road and adding the great little climb of the Col de Clawthorpe which gives us some amazing views.
Who's still up for it then?

Nick has suggested a minor change to the route between Staveley and Burneside. In Staveley cross the Kent at Hall Lane and take the minor road right which parallels the river, turning right at Chapeltree Wood and then right again at Hall Rd into Burneside. He said there's nothing in it but it's a nicer road.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Looks a good route; I've done bits of it on various rides. I'll join you if the weather looks nice and I've no family commitments.

OP
OP
Ajay

Ajay

Veteran
I did the full route yesterday - including Nick's Burneside Back Road - (97 miles from my house). I didnt eat enough before and during the ride so was running on empty for the last 10 - lesson learned for next week. (nothing to do with me being fat and out of condition, obviously :whistle:). Got away with only being caught in one 10 min hailstorm. Still loving the route!

So, still aiming for a 9am start at Crook O Lune.
Colin / Brompt arriving by train - still due in 8:18? There's a gate at the north end of the platform leading directly onto the cyclepath (we're so integrated here), I'll meet you there, it's only 20mins to the Crook so the timings should work out well.

The roads/surfaces: the whole route is perfectly rideable on road bikes, with nothing worse than you've experienced on Colins rides, but please be prepared for narrow lanes, cattle grids, mud, stones, sheep, pheasants, horses and the occasional motorised vehicle. Having said that, I reckon that the worst surface is on the only bit of main road we use - a short stretch on the A6 at Levens.

Feedstations: a stretch and breather at Arnside pier,
caffeine / cake top up at S Cafe Grange o Sands
Lancaster-20110503-00159.jpg
Late Lunch at Wilfs Cafe Staveley http://www.wilfs-cafe.co.uk/
Breather / bidon swig / own snacks atop Col du Clawthorpe
That, hopefully, should see us through!

Lets hope the weather holds or even improves for saturday. If you need any more info just shout!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
So, still aiming for a 9am start at Crook O Lune.
Colin / Brompt arriving by train - still due in 8:18? There's a gate at the north end of the platform leading directly onto the cyclepath (we're so integrated here), I'll meet you there, it's only 20mins to the Crook so the timings should work out well.
08:08! Mind you, knowing the railway system in the UK, you might as well assume 08:18, or even a tad later! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Ajay

Ajay

Veteran
Yep - apologies Ajay, but I am out for this one. Just started a new job, and I'm going to have to work away from home a bit more, so will need to put in more 'family time' at the weekends.

Hope you all have a good day.
No need to apologise Steve!
Good luck in the new job, see you on another ride.

trio25

Über Member
Hope you all have a nice ride, sounds like it should be a good one. I will get out with you lot soon, not being well this weekend so it will have to wait till I get back to work etc.

Ajay, apologies but I'm now unable to make the ride on Saturday. I'm really disappointed but never mind, I'll be aiming to make the next forum ride in this region from mid June.

Have a great day all, it looks a fantastic route.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Ajay - I'm hoping to be up for this on Saturday. However can I meet you at the Redwell Inn? I'll aim to be there for 9.20*, and wait in front of the pub for the peloton to arrive...

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=red...irefox-a&hq=redwell+inn&radius=15000&t=m&z=16

(I'm in Carnforth - don't think I can manage to cycle to/from the Crook O'lune as well as your route, and it seems daft to get the bike on the car for that short distance...)

Not promising to get up the hill out of Warton - haven't tried that this year yet!

*or sooner, if you think you will get there before that - but as its about 5 miles from the start, if you ARE earlier than that I wouldn't be able to keep up with you anyway!

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
i'm up for this still, but if the weather forecast changes to anything like i've been commuting in this week i'll be out. there is no way i'm up to doing 88 miles on the brompton in pissing down rain and wind.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
i'm up for this still, but if the weather forecast changes to anything like i've been commuting in this week i'll be out. there is no way i'm up to doing 88 miles on the brompton in pissing down rain and wind.
I must admit that I was worried about the weather as well. I got really cold and wet in the first 30 miles of last weekend's Jodrell Bank ride and that was bad enough. I definitely wouldn't fancy getting up at 05:00 and spending over £20 to go and die of exposure on a Cumbrian hill! The odd shower is okay, but relentless cold rain is something else ...

But let's be optimistic - both the Met Office and BBC forecasts are for it to be cloudy and windy, but dry - I could live with that! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom