"Hawkshead Brewery Tour" an 80ish mile meander along the quiet lanes of N Lancs/S Cumbria 28 April

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
More worried if I decide to camp and have to cycle home on sunday tbh.
If it turned out really grim on Sunday, you could always nip down to Lancaster and catch the train back to Halifax (change at Preston for the Blackpool North to Leeds service). The cost would be £20.70. Note though - there is a rail replacement bus running in the morning so you would have to wait until 12:22 at Lancaster.

Alternatively, perhaps, a wind-assisted 25-odd miles down the A6 (or a more scenic route further inland) to Preston to catch a train from there - cost £15.50. Trains at 09:27, then 10:37 and every hour at 37 minutes past the hour.

If it turned out really grim on Sunday, you could always nip down to Lancaster and catch the train back to Halifax (change at Preston for the Blackpool North to Leeds service). The cost would be £20.70. Note though - there is a rail replacement bus running in the morning so you would have to wait until 12:22 at Lancaster.

Alternatively, perhaps, a wind-assisted 25-odd miles down the A6 (or a more scenic route further inland) to Preston to catch a train from there - cost £15.50. Trains at 09:27, then 10:37 and every hour at 37 minutes past the hour.

Cheers Col, I will see what the morning brings.

OP
OP
Ajay

Ajay

Veteran
Ajay - I'm hoping to be up for this on Saturday. However can I meet you at the Redwell Inn? I'll aim to be there for 9.20*, and wait in front of the pub for the peloton to arrive...

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=redwell inn&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hq=redwell inn&radius=15000&t=m&z=16

(I'm in Carnforth - don't think I can manage to cycle to/from the Crook O'lune as well as your route, and it seems daft to get the bike on the car for that short distance...)

Not promising to get up the hill out of Warton - haven't tried that this year yet!

*or sooner, if you think you will get there before that - but as its about 5 miles from the start, if you ARE earlier than that I wouldn't be able to keep up with you anyway!
Nice one Spinney, it'll be good to see you.
Yep, meet you at the Redwell 9:15 ish.
The steep bit of Crag Road is only very short, so if we do have to walk it won't be for long:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Ajay

Ajay

Veteran
I know there's plenty of "weather" around - I got soaked in Hyde today, but we've got our own little microclimate up here and it hasn't rained here today. The forecast has been spot on all week, and I'm confident saturday will be fine. Cool (with a north easterly), feeling about 8C, but dry and the chance of sunny intervals in the afternoon.
As Spinney says, there are plenty of options to amend the route if we need to.
I'll be going out whatever the weather as I need the hours in the saddle, only 23 days 'til my 1000km Raid Corsica ride:ohmy:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
i've just finished a 55 hour manic week and i am so tired. i'm not risking it tomorrow, both fitness and weather wise. it'd be unfair to trash your day. shame really as i did fancy somewhere different.

enjoy yourselves and colin i hope your leg / hip holds up.

Didn't clear up here 'till lunchtime so I will be making my way over in the morning, see you at 9am at the car park:thumbsup:

ColinJ

i've just finished a 55 hour manic week and i am so tired. i'm not risking it tomorrow, both fitness and weather wise. it'd be unfair to trash your day. shame really as i did fancy somewhere different.
Yes, it is a shame Shaun, but there's no point in grinding yourself into the ground. See you for another one later in the year.
enjoy yourselves and colin i hope your leg / hip holds up.
I have been resting since last weekend's forum ride to try and let my leg recover. It still feels a bit tender, so I have some concerns about it but at least I'll be riding my low-geared Basso this time.

I hope that I'll be able to do the whole ride, but I have worked out bailout options just in case ...

If my leg is playing up late in the ride and I feel that I can't handle the 'Col de Clawthorpe', I can head back on the A6070 to Tewitfield, then ride through Over Kellet and Nether Kellet to Halton and get back on the cycle path to the station at Lancaster. That will save me nearly 10 miles and a toughish climb.

If I'm already in trouble by Grange-over-Sands, I'll do the cafe stop there, then ride back the way we rode out as far as Warton and turn right onto the bailout route described above just before Borwick.

Christopher

Über Member
hi
I'll be coming along on this ride, if you'll have me. Have just booked on the 0753 from Preston to Lancaster - same train as Colin I think - and know my way to the start. I will be riding a blue Dave Yates.
Will also bring an OS map of the area that you can borrow Colin if need be. The Col de Clawthorpe is quite a grind (although have only ever been down it).

ColinJ

hi
I'll be coming along on this ride, if you'll have me. Have just booked on the 0753 from Preston to Lancaster - same train as Colin I think - and know my way to the start. I will be riding a blue Dave Yates.
Will also bring an OS map of the area that you can borrow Colin if need be. The Col de Clawthorpe is quite a grind (although have only ever been down it).
Yes - same train. I haven't reserved a bike space so I'm hoping that we don't get a Jobsworth 'train manager'. It's only 15 minutes from Preston and there are no other station stops AFAIK so surely I can stand with my bike by one of the doors even if the bike spaces are full? There is another train after that one which would get me to Lancaster in time so if I have a problem with the 07:53, then I'll try the next one instead!

I won't need the map, thanks - I am programming the bailout route into my GPS and I've printed out a map for backup.

Yes - I spotted how steep that Clawthorpe climb is. Normally, it wouldn't bother me too much but I'm very nervous about my right leg after my recent problems with it!

OP
OP
Ajay

Ajay

Veteran
So the weather's looking good for tomorrow :sun:, http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/?tab=fiveDay&dayIdx=1&locId=352071 ( those gusts will blow us home! )

I'll meet Colin and Christopher at the station at 8:08 then ride to the Crook to meet up with OFF, STASS and Nick plus anyone else who fancies coming along!
We'll aim to be away from there 9am prompt so as not to leave Spinney waiting at the Redwell too long.

Colin, don't fret about the Clawthorpe climb, it's a lovely little hill, maybe take you 12-15mins to get up, I know your definition of steep and this would fall way outside it! For the views and the descent it's well worth a bit of huffin' n' puffin'.

If anyone wants my mobile no. PM me, I'll check in later and again in the morning before I set off - 7:45

See you in the morning:hello:

ColinJ

So the weather's looking good for tomorrow :sun:, http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/?tab=fiveDay&dayIdx=1&locId=352071 ( those gusts will blow us home! )
Colin, don't fret about the Clawthorpe climb, it's a lovely little hill, maybe take you 12-15mins to get up, I know your definition of steep and this would fall way outside it! For the views and the descent it's well worth a bit of huffin' n' puffin'.
It's not something that I would normally worry about. It's all down to what my right leg is like.

I'll be wearing a fetching combination of baggy shorts with leg warmers, to take the pressure of my dodgy veins! Lightly supportive lycra is good, but having the lycra equivalent of a boa constrictor on one's legs definitely doesn't feel great. :ohmy:

I wonder why they are getting a dry ride
confused0006.gif
. dr pink racing tomorrow and it is going to be ..............wet. Have a good one because Sunday is not a day to be riding.

Top Bottom