Hay fever

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I suffer really badly from hay fever and so I usually get about sealed in my car with the air con on. There is not a hope in hell of being able to cycle like this.

How do you cope with it cycling? Are here any tricks that help?

I am on medication but my eyes itch and my nose runs continuously at a rate of about three to four snotty tissues a minute at the moment and that is just because I left my room windows open today.

Thank you.

Ahh, maybe the wrong forum. Could someone move this to the cafe is it is better there please. Ta

You have my sympathy, Night Train - I used to get hayfever just the same as you. The itchy eyes, the incessant sneezing, the inability to breathe properly ... :blush: Curiously, I seem to have been cured of it since I started smoking, but I just used to live with it when it was bad. It always seemed worse when I drove than when I cycled, possibly because I wasn't thinking about it when I was on the bike. Try it, and see how you get on.

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
I was going to go for a ride today but I couldn't put the box of tissues down long enough to get ready. The sneezing isn't a problem but the tap in the middle of my face is. I did some welding instead and just snotted all over the inside of the face sheild rather then stop amd mess the weld up.

Two snotty tissues just typing this.

Not going to start smoking though.

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
Some migrane meds I'm on leads to increased appetite and when I asked the GP about it he suggested smoking as a way to counter it! He did also say the other option is coffee so I thought that was the better option.

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
Pizotifin - 1 1/2 stone and sleeping a lot to boot. The stuff has the second side effect of making me drowsey and less active. Not a good combination to have with increased appetite!

kyuss

Veteran
I know how you feel Night Train, I've suffered terribly with hayfever from about aged 14. The itchy eyes are a pain but at least wearing sunglasses helps. The runny nose is the worst. The only thing I could suggest is to put vaseline round your nostrils, inside and out. It helps trap a lot of the pollen so that it doesn't reach your sinuses. If nothing else it helps keep the skin moist so it doesn't go all red and cracked from the constant nose blowing.

Flixonase, as suggested by User has been my real saving grace though. I've been using it for about 10 or so years and the symptoms get better every year. Last year I was hardly affected at all (though that could be down to the lack of any kind of decent weather) so this year I'm hoping it will be even better and I'll finally get to enjoy a proper summer for the first time since I was a kid.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I think i've been lucky so far. I use a mild anti-histamine throughout spring and a spoonful of local Honey which works for me.
Tried some of the stronger meds but always felt too drowsy to do anything.

Eyes itching like mad this morning :smile:

yello

I've just started the itchy eyes, sneezing and runny nose in the last few days. I used to get it far worse but have been growing out of it, I used to get hayfever quite badly in my teens & early 20s. Each year I'd take whatever the vogue tablet was, and maybe beconaise, but each year it seems I require less and less. I think last year I only took around 20 tablets all sprint/summer.

Sadly, I don't think it's something that you can completely prevent. Only lessen the impact. There were days when I would stay indoors because it was just too irritating to be outside.

HelenD123

Guru
Another vote for Flixonase here. Stops the constant sneezing. I've also got some cheap anti-histamines from Tesco which seem to be doing the trick, although my symptoms aren't that severe.

Beconase and opticrom are what i use, but i have to ensure that i time it right, if i leave it until the symptoms have set in then it takes ages to get on top of it again, some years i haven't even been able to suppress them :biggrin:

i brought my first batch this morning as i could just feel my nose twitching.

just a thought; have you thought of riding with one of those urban face masks you see in London and a good pair of close fitting sun glasses? don't know if it would make a difference but it has to be better than being stuck in a car in this sort of weather!

Windy

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
punkypossum said:
Totally off topic, but your furniture is fab!!!
Thank you. I do need clients though and I am begining to panic about the work situation for this summer now.:ohmy:

Back on topic.

I will have to look into some Flixonase and think about the face mask. I wear glasses so close fitting sun glasses are out. I have found that when things are bad and I am in the workshop with a proper dust mask on I still end up snotty nosed inside the mask, fortunately no one gets to see that. I wouldn't have thought a cycling face mask would be a close enough fit though, maybe I am wrong.

The mask I use for work is like a gas mask with 1 micron filters for working with MDF. I am going to wear that for a while in the garden to see if it helps.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The local honey is highly recommended - see if any of the local shops have any - i.e. village ones not tesco !

Although being a manchester lad myself, not seen too many hives round here !

Top Bottom