Haynes manuals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...

I honestly thought that the manual for an Astute class nuclear submarine would be a bit bigger!
Still, Haynes do simplify mechanicing, don't they!

:okay:

Drago

Legendary Member
Haynes are crap. I was once rebuilding an Astra gearbox and I turned the page to fi d a picture of an Allegro. Where at all possible I've always tried to get Clymer manuals from the states

Smudge

Veteran
It used to be that i would often buy a Haynes for every bike i owned. But i've not bought one for around 15 years now, the internet has pretty much made them redundant.
Which is why i guess they have all these weird manuals now to stay in business.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Which shop was this @PeteXXX ? I used a Haynes manual for my CBF125 once. They'd printed the incorrect information on how to adjust valve clearances. Lucky I noticed and ignored what they'd written.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
They are better than nothing... but sometimes very questionably so. My teenage years were taken up by Haynes manual's step by step guide to replacing a gearbox on a Ford Cortina or similar:

Step 1. undo bolts
Step 2. remove gearbox

I really do seem to recall it was like that, frustratingly so. Many times they were incredibly unhelpful with a complete lack of detail.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I'm more of a Chilton manual user myself, although I think the last time I used one was to remove and repair the suspension on a Ford Granada on the street in front of my apartment. A few weeks later, it blew the engine. I suppose, by the late 80's, that manual should have read;
" Why are you fixing this? Now go out, and buy a credible car."

Chris S

Legendary Member
The last good Haynes manual I bought was for an Austin Metro. It had clear exploded line drawings and specific information about the car. The last one I bought was for a Nissan Micra. The drawings had been replaced by monochrome photographs that had little or no context. It had also been printed on newspaper quality paper and contained far less model-specific information.

presta

Guru
Haynes are crap. I was once rebuilding an Astra gearbox and I turned the page to fi d a picture of an Allegro. Where at all possible I've always tried to get Clymer manuals from the states
I think Haynes describe jobs without actually doing them, the fuel tank on my Capri couldn't be removed the way Haynes describe. Back in the 1970s, the technical library in Chelmsford used to keep the manufacturer's own handbooks (which is why my Haynes Capri manual has all the correct torques pencilled in). Ford manuals were about 3 times the size of a Haynes one.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I'm collecting the space ones, got Apollo 11, Saturn V, Moon manual etc & of course, the USS Enterprise. Very handy when I'm fixing the warp core but anti-matter is a bit hard to come by....:okay:. And that blasted starboard power coupling is always on the blink....

Top Bottom