He said he would show me the world...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
I've just bought a box of raisin Poppets from the vending machine. There's a quote on the back of it:

"He said he would show me the world...but all I got was a backy and a Mr.Whippy"

Is that a famous quote or something? From a film maybe?

The answer's not even given on the box! How very dare they leave me in suspense!

ChrisKH

Guru
What's a 'backy'?

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Alan H said:
The same question is asked here.
Looks like they're as stumped as I am.

Cyclista

When I was a nipper growing up in Scotland a 'Backy' was giving one of your mates a lift on the back of your bike, feet on the stays, holding on to your shoulders. :evil:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Cyclista said:
When I was a nipper growing up in Scotland a 'Backy' was giving one of your mates a lift on the back of your bike, feet on the stays, holding on to your shoulders. :evil:
Whjen I was a young man I had fantasies about Mrs Scroggins, feet on my shoulders, me holding onto her stays... :smile:

iacula

I was brought up in Glasgow, I confirm the suggested meaning of "backy", by Cyclista there from the 1960's. Also was Mr Whippy a Scottish Ice Cream van outfit or does everybody recognise it?

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
iacula said:
I was brought up in Glasgow, I confirm the suggested meaning of "backy", by Cyclista there from the 1960's. Also was Mr Whippy a Scottish Ice Cream van outfit or does everybody recognise it?
Yeah Mr Whippy was round our way (I was a southerner in them days). We also called it a backy, the thing on the bike. Perhaps my parents were lying, and really we lived in Scotland.. I always wondered why there were so many ginger people around, and half the men wore skirts... :evil::smile:

Top Bottom