Head Torch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Alas, this morning my trusty Petzel MYOXP seems to have given up the ghost. Despite a change of batteries, it is no longer working. It was bought about eight / ten years ago for night challenge walking and proved it's worth on several all-nighters, after that I used it on night rides and found it ideal as a backup light to my handlebar light. At the moment, it is / was being used to get the dogs out into the garden in the morning and walk them on a short night walk. A quick search on the net reveals that a replacement would cost around £70, which I can not justify. The conundrum is do I use my dedicated cycle light which at this time of year is always kept in with my cycle kit or do I buy a cheap O? If it is a cheap O. Has anybody any recommendation's? Say up to £20. I like to be able to use my kit for a number of purposes. In this case dog walking, loft ratching and cycle back up.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Alas, this morning my trusty Petzel MYOXP seems to have given up the ghost. Despite a change of batteries, it is no longer working. It was bought about eight / ten years ago for night challenge walking and proved it's worth on several all-nighters, after that I used it on night rides and found it ideal as a backup light to my handlebar light. At the moment, it is / was being used to get the dogs out into the garden in the morning and walk them on a short night walk. A quick search on the net reveals that a replacement would cost around £70, which I can not justify. The conundrum is do I use my dedicated cycle light which at this time of year is always kept in with my cycle kit or do I buy a cheap O? If it is a cheap O. Has anybody any recommendation's? Say up to £20. I like to be able to use my kit for a number of purposes. In this case dog walking, loft ratching and cycle back up.
I bought this for the occasional dark dog walk or jog. Very pleased with it and it seems to get good reviews.
https://www.alpkit.com/products/viper

I've got a couple of very acceptable head torches from (of all places) poundland. They've been unexpectedly quite good, and plenty bright enough too.

Drago

Legendary Member
I use a Snap On mechanic head torch for SAR. Good beam, decent battery life, nigh on indestructible. Was about £20 in Costco, I think about 35 normal retail. I wouldn't recommend any head torch for cycling (for reasons I won't start detailing thread with), but if you absolutely must then you're unlikely to find a better performing and more durable example at any price.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Alpkit Gamma here for many years. The battery compartment broke last year and they sent a new one FOC even though it is well outside of any warranty. Excellent customer service.

Top Bottom