Headaches and exercise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
Got a beauty today :sad:

Anyone else get them through exercise?

It's apparently a recognised type of headache under the broad umbrella of headaches. It seems to affect my guts and my sinuses if that makes sense.
Heat makes them more likely to happen and I was riding indoors today.

I saw one of those agony aunt style doctors sections in a newspaper a while back and the only advice given was to take painkillers pre exercise.

I was wondering if there were alternatives or advice other than the painkillers or not exercising?

have you drunk enough? i get headaches if i get a bit dehydrated

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I get the most amazing headahces if i don't use some sort of energy drink. SIS PSP22 works for me. Water doesn't touch it

I think its because i've got blood sugar problems, and on rides i can run out of oomph quite quickly. Since i've used an energy drink its fine.

bonj2

for me the main cause of headaches is if i don't drink enough water/drink too much coffee/don't drink enough coffee

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Sorry to drag this up again but same thing happened today, again indoors.

I had plenty of fluids, not too much or too little caffeine and a PSP22 drink or two.

I think it's overheating, maybe :bravo:

I did drop out of one of the sessions early because of it but I'd been pre-emptive with an ibuprofen and was starting to feel ok by the time we finished.

I went and tried to cool down at the sink. I guess that's about all I can do really :becool:

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Todays was an annoyance only, it did stop me for a few minutes but the ibuprofen was taken in time to kick in soon enough. The last one was very debilitating though.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I ended up going through 2 x 750 ml bottles of isostar and a strawberry milkshake... quite a lot really.

It's hard to eat anything more than banana's once the pace went up.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
If your still getting them despite being well hydrated i would see the doctor to be on the safe side.
longers said:
Got a beauty today :bravo:

Anyone else get them through exercise?

It's apparently a recognised type of headache under the broad umbrella of headaches. It seems to affect my guts and my sinuses if that makes sense.
Heat makes them more likely to happen and I was riding indoors today.

I saw one of those agony aunt style doctors sections in a newspaper a while back and the only advice given was to take painkillers pre exercise.

I was wondering if there were alternatives or advice other than the painkillers or not exercising?

ASC1951

Guru
Banjo said:
If your still getting them despite being well hydrated i would see the doctor to be on the safe side.
I'm with Banjo on that. A number of serious (but rare) conditions first appear as a headache.

What's the 'neither too much nor too little caffeine'? You don't actually need any at all. Some people have, or develop, a low tolerance for caffeine; I'm one and I find I feel much better without it.

montage

God Almighty
I usually put headaches down to dehydration or looking at computer/books for too long. I seem to have a dull headache, which can be ignored, for alot of the time....but I also have reeeally sensitive eyes to I guess it could be that....too much sunlight at the moment!

I agree that you should get it checked out.

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
While thinking why I didn't think the docs would be much use I've come up with the very obvious - to me anyway :smile: - answer.

I'll go and see my friendly acupuncturist and see what she says. I had a spate of headaches 10 years ago and al the docs did was keep chucking pills at me in the hope that something would work. Nothing did but having needles stuck in my ankles and knees did sort out the gall bladder imbalance that she diagnosed. Sorted the headaches in two visits. It sounds unlikely but it worked.

I'm a bit tight so I'll probably wait till after the next headache, or the one after that before I do anything about it.

All I meant about the caffeine was I'm sensitive to too much of it and going without brings on headaches too.

longers said:
All I meant about the caffeine was I'm sensitive to too much of it and going without brings on headaches too.

Going without does the same to me but after a few days it gets better. The answer is not to go without. Hope the acupuncturist works for you.

Top Bottom