Headaches and exercise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vorsprung

Veteran
I am not prone to headaches but occassionally get them when exercising extremely hard

I do remember reading some literature to do with time trials and they seemed to say that it was just a natural consequence of pushing your body to the absolute limit

I had one at the weekend but I do not remember if it went away after a rest, a drink, some more energy drink, proper food, electrolyte tablets or some other factor.

Sorry to not have a positive suggestion but I just thought I'd mention that even for people that are not generally sensitive to headaches, this sometimes happens

trio25

Über Member
This is probably an exertion headache, which is basically a tension headache. The fact that it has tended to happen on the track really gives it away. Basically it occurs because your upper back and neck muscles tighten and the tension is transferred to the head and face. On the track you are probably not as relaxed as you usually are on a bike as it is a different enviroment to what you are used to. I also don't change hand position on the track (too scared to I guess) on a road bike I am always moving!

The recommendation to help, apart from relax more ;o) is to massage your upper-back neck and shoulders before exercise. Helps prevent fatigue and cramping. Also shake out the arms everytime you stop on the bike and relax and not hold onto the bars like they are going to run away.

Any help?

trio25

Über Member
Yes sorry really behind with the forum so didn't see the thread.

As you know I am a bit of a geek! I don't think it is dehydration as you would have it more often. So self-massage or get someone else to do it!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oi - he'll be charging round the track on the next session, no handed doing a self massage........ :biggrin:..as he speeds past.....:blush:

TBH, it's a bit intense doing the group stuff on track, especially with no brakes and riding with folk you don't know what their riding style is like..... :smile:

Top Bottom