headlight advice please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jags

Guru
im looking to buy a really good headligh, i dont have a fortune to spend but i do need a really good light to brighten up the dark country roads for my night time training ,a light that runs on aa batterys would be what im looking for .thanks

Many of the latest 2 or 3 AA LEDs are bright enough to see where you're going. I used to use rechargeable halogen systems with 5w, 10w and 15w blubs but no longer feel the need.
We distribute hundreds of Smart lights, I'm not too keen on the styling or the quality but actually, and in spite of my snobbery, they really work well and are bright enough to illuminate unlit country lanes, especially in pairs, one one the verge and one on the road.

30mph off-road is a different matter mind you, that's where Nite-Suns and the like really . . . uh . . . shine.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
mickle said:
We distribute hundreds of Smart lights,

Who is we ? & do you distribute adaptors for oversize bars ?
My smart light is far better than any thing else i've tried for country lanes, but can only use it on my hybrid, so dont like to use my road bike to commute on if it's dark one way :biggrin:

RedBike

It depends on what you mean by really bright.
I would recommend looking at a 10watt plus halogen or if the budget will stretch a HID light. You wont be able to run either of these off AA batteries though.

Here's a video of someone using a fenix light. You can make your own mind up as to how bright it is.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF_wkY2WiJg

If your budget will allow I would plump for something like this:
http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/index.php?cPath=24&osCsid=79450d51e95a8238528308577d8c05cb

Or if you're on a budget type Cateye ABS into ebay.

Iceniner

Ive got two Busch and Muller ixon iq lights for all the cycling i do at night across a mixture of country and town/city roads. They really are brilliant. I preferred having two separate units incase one went down id still have a good light to get home on. But they've not failed me at all since i got them just before christmas.

They run off 4xAA batteries which can be charged in the light with a supplied charger (they also chuck in the batteries too). They are 40 lux on full output for seeing where you are going and 10 on city-eco mode which is still enough for being seen around the city.

I think mags still has his ionx iq, although he was having troubles with it?

The beam spread on the road is nice too, its not tightly focused and its evenly spread over the road infront.

Top Bottom