Headphones that don't have terrible wind noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
:stop:You do realise that it's against the law to wear headphones (in/on both ears) whilst driving, that goes for cycling as well (on the ROAD).
You can only have one earphone, otherwise in the eyes of the law you are restricting your aural perception of your surroundings!

I was lucky last year as the police just told me to remove one earphone and didn't fine me £50.

In my view it's completely Bonkers as you can have an ICE in a nicely soundproofed vehicle playing loud enough that you can't hear much of anything outside.:wacko:
"yes I am aware there is a restriction on the max decibels you are allowed". But it still restricts your hearing of most things outside of the vehicle.

The daft thing is you can still drive if you are completely DEAF!

P.S.
The bone conducting in-ear phones give the least wind noise and if you have them positioned correctly give good sound quality.
As stated earlier in the thread I also don't mind paying a little more for something that works.
Buy cheap, buy twice.

It is very definitely not illegal to wear both headphones on whilst driving or cycling in the UK. You can potentially be fined for driving whilst wearing headphones if the Police consider you to have been distracted whilst driving, but there the offence is still not about wearing headphones.

simongt

Guru
Rather like allowing folk with one blind eye to drive; very poor, if any depth perception. :dry:

Boopop

Guru
:stop:You do realise that it's against the law to wear headphones (in/on both ears) whilst driving, that goes for cycling as well (on the ROAD).
You can only have one earphone, otherwise in the eyes of the law you are restricting your aural perception of your surroundings!

I was lucky last year as the police just told me to remove one earphone and didn't fine me £50.

In my view it's completely Bonkers as you can have an ICE in a nicely soundproofed vehicle playing loud enough that you can't hear much of anything outside.:wacko:
"yes I am aware there is a restriction on the max decibels you are allowed". But it still restricts your hearing of most things outside of the vehicle.

The daft thing is you can still drive if you are completely DEAF!

P.S.
The bone conducting in-ear phones give the least wind noise and if you have them positioned correctly give good sound quality.
As stated earlier in the thread I also don't mind paying a little more for something that works.
Buy cheap, buy twice.

Not sure your where you or the police officer got their information on, cycling with headphones is perfectly legal: http://www.cyclelaw.co.uk/faq (See the entry about listening to music.).

Personally I think like helmets (steady!) headphones should be left to each rider to decide rather than the law. Would I cycle with headphones in the middle of an unfamiliar city? Unlikely. Do I cycle to work with headphones on where I'm very familiar with the roads and know that whether there's a car behind me has no bearing on my position on the road? Absolutely. Can I hear traffic anyway? Yes. Just because some twit is riding around Shoreditch with their favourite Bose cans on not paying any attention to their surroundings I do not see why that should mean I should have to be barred from wearing them despite having ridden over 40k miles since 2012 and I haven't had an accident yet.

As for cycling headphones - Koss Porta Pros. Good bass, relatively comfortable, open design so you can still hear your surroundings. When they break (as all headphones do in my experience with regular use), send them back with a fiver and you get a brand new pair back. Lifetime warranty, yes please 😍

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
Not sure your where you or the police officer got their information on, cycling with headphones is perfectly legal: http://www.cyclelaw.co.uk/faq (See the entry about listening to music.).

Personally I think like helmets (steady!) headphones should be left to each rider to decide rather than the law. Would I cycle with headphones in the middle of an unfamiliar city? Unlikely. Do I cycle to work with headphones on where I'm very familiar with the roads and know that whether there's a car behind me has no bearing on my position on the road? Absolutely. Can I hear traffic anyway? Yes. Just because some twit is riding around Shoreditch with their favourite Bose cans on not paying any attention to their surroundings I do not see why that should mean I should have to be barred from wearing them despite having ridden over 40k miles since 2012 and I haven't had an accident yet.

As for cycling headphones - Koss Porta Pros. Good bass, relatively comfortable, open design so you can still hear your surroundings. When they break (as all headphones do in my experience with regular use), send them back with a fiver and you get a brand new pair back. Lifetime warranty, yes please 😍
Thanks for that.
I've now got ammunition for when I get stopped next time.

Faratid

Trying to find headphones (wireless) that dont suffer from terrible wind noise on the bike when going fast. Any suggestions?
Yes. Don't wear headphones when riding your bike. Listen to the sounds around you, and be in the here & now.

Boopop

Guru
Yes. Don't wear headphones when riding your bike. Listen to the sounds around you, and be in the here & now.

What a useful suggestion. The here and now isn't very interesting when I'm doing the same route day in day out every week for my commute.

Bought some Jabra elite 75 t in ear wireless buds with a 'hearthrough' feature which activates microphones on the outside of the buds that let the ambient noise in. Works very well. I did have a 65t pair that had the same technology but strangely never noticed any difference, a few reviews now say the hearthrough doesnt work on the 65t.
Expensive though (top of the range) but get v little wind noise, can hear surroundings and audio quality is way better than the aftershokz I used to own (and comfier). If its super busy then just one quick press of the earbud turns pauses the music, find they work really well.

Domdom1980

I have some bone conducting headphones, and whilst they sound OK, they are a pain to get on and sit right with helmet straps (I guess it depends on the helmet)

Ive switched to Galaxy ear buds (just 1) and that seems to be relatively unaffected by wind noise.

Top Bottom