Headphones that don't have terrible wind noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beany_bot

Veteran
Trying to find headphones (wireless) that dont suffer from terrible wind noise on the bike when going fast. Any suggestions?

vickster

Legendary Member
If you use the search facility, you’ll find the Aftershockz bone conducting ones feature often
Eg https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/earbuds-and-wind-noise.253461/#post-5746360

OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
Trying to avoid bone conductors. They are expensive. Don't work with helmet straps and I find the sound quality very poor,

OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
They aren't too costly.
They are too expensive. i.e. not worth that money vs sound quality you get and the fact they dont work well with straps.

Im happy to pay that money for something that ticks the boxes properly.

OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
I use aftershokz when walking or running and audio quality is an acceptable compromise since I'm using them to keep my ears free to hear other things, if you want an audiophile experience then you'll have to compromise on what your ears can hear, if you want to remove wind noise use closed headphones or shield your earbuds from the wind using a buff or similar.
Problem is, with closed earbuds I get awful awful wind noise. They make it worse.

dave147

I have to say I have the aftershockz and I find them to be great. the sound is great and I can hear all traffic and noise around me which is all I want

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Trying to avoid bone conductors. They are expensive. Don't work with helmet straps and I find the sound quality very poor,
This is not right. Yes they are expensive, but they are worth it. The sound quality of Aftershoks Aeropex are fine and they fit no problem with helmet and straps.

They have a long battery life and charge up quicklyfrom the mains or powerbank. I have used mine all winter on some awful days. I have switched them off once because of wind noise. But I doubt if any headphone would have passed that test.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't use headphones when riding but my ears were suffering badly from wind noise on long, fast Yorkshire descents. I found a tip which has reduced the problem by about 2/3 - putting twists in the helmet straps. With the straps flat, they would flap about and cause turbulent airflow into my ears. The twisted straps are much stiffer and stay put, slightly diverting the air flow.

Another option is to buy something like Wind-Blox for your helmet straps (or make your own equivalent).

si_c

Guru
If you don’t wear a helmet you’ll lose the wind noise. It’s mostly the helmet and straps causing the noise and reducing your hearing capability.
Not necessarily.

I don't ride wide with a lid but the wireless headphones I have presently are pretty poor for wind noise - they protrude out from the ear a fair bit. Sony wired headphones are my gold-standard - they sit quite far into my ear so there is almost no noise even in truly appalling weather.

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
:stop:You do realise that it's against the law to wear headphones (in/on both ears) whilst driving, that goes for cycling as well (on the ROAD).
You can only have one earphone, otherwise in the eyes of the law you are restricting your aural perception of your surroundings!

I was lucky last year as the police just told me to remove one earphone and didn't fine me £50.

In my view it's completely Bonkers as you can have an ICE in a nicely soundproofed vehicle playing loud enough that you can't hear much of anything outside.:wacko:
"yes I am aware there is a restriction on the max decibels you are allowed". But it still restricts your hearing of most things outside of the vehicle.

The daft thing is you can still drive if you are completely DEAF!

P.S.
The bone conducting in-ear phones give the least wind noise and if you have them positioned correctly give good sound quality.
As stated earlier in the thread I also don't mind paying a little more for something that works.
Buy cheap, buy twice.

Last edited:
:stop:You do realise that it's against the law to wear headphones (in/on both ears) whilst driving, that goes for cycling as well (on the ROAD).
You can only have one earphone, otherwise in the eyes of the law you are restricting your aural perception of your surroundings!

I was lucky last year as the police just told me to remove one earphone and didn't fine me £50.

In my view it's completely Bonkers as you can have an ICE in a nicely soundproofed vehicle playing loud enough that you can't hear much of anything outside.:wacko:
"yes I am aware there is a restriction on the max decibels you are allowed". But it still restricts your hearing of most things outside of the vehicle.

The daft thing is you can still drive if you are completely DEAF!

P.S.
The bone conducting in-ear phones give the least wind noise and if you have them positioned correctly give good sound quality.
As stated earlier in the thread I also don't mind paying a little more for something that works.
Buy cheap, buy twice.
As you say deaf people are allowed to ride and they can't hear so I'm not sure that's a real law rather a policeman saying he doesn't want you to ride with 2 earphones - tell him to drive off with his radio off and windows down next time.

Top Bottom