Headphones whilst Cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Stig-OT-Dump said:
I don't know if I agree with the deafness analogy. Deaf people have impaired hearing / can't hear. It is a permanent state that causes the person to develop different coping mechanisms to compensate. Listening to music / radio / podcasts through earphones is actively distracting and focuses your attention "elsewhere" - it is in no way comparing like with like.

Yep, let remove all in car HiFi equipment, lets face it someone piloting >1 ton of metal is far more of a risk than some piloting 14Kg of bicycle...

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Mycroft said:
HJ said:
... cycling blind is not a good idea...

Tandeming is ok though :evil:

Just so long as it is not the pilot...

I have meet a blind stoker on a tandem, just shows that disability is no barrier to cycling :laugh:

HJ said:
Yep, let remove all in car HiFi equipment, lets face it someone piloting >1 ton of metal is far more of a risk than some piloting 14Kg of bicycle...
Again, I don't think that is the best comparison going. By sitting in a cab / car it is already recognised that you are removed from your environment. The provision of and training in the use of mirrors is evidence of the levels of compensation already being made. Had you mentioned wind noise (perhaps as exacerbated by use of helmets), then I might have found your argument more convincing.

By the same token, I'm sure I've seen a lot of complaints on here about drivers using headphones. I also think a cyclist with a tranny strapped to the handlebars would still be more in tune with with their surroundings than a cyclist with earphones in (particularly the type of earphones that cut down on external noise).

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
HJ said:

That's a different comparison. Boom-boom hi fi is certainly capable of reducing driver's awareness. OEM kit playing radio 4 might to some extent add to the seclusion of a well insulated car.

Neither is comparable with the isolation resulting from wearing close backed noise reducing earpieces.

And anyway, audio awareness is less critical in a car. Even then I can, on a narrow blind lane, mute the car audio at the flick of a fingertip to hear a warning horn.

I think the main concern I have with earphones is for just the cyclist's personal safety and perhaps paedestrians. However, most on this forum are smart enough to acknowledge the highway code for zebra crossings and traffic lights etc and I doubt they would suddenly forget about all these whilst listening to music. So it really just goes back to cyclist's safety and that's why, to me, it's a personal choice affecting (at least in this forum) themselves only!

When comparing behaviour with those in a car, it seems kinda pointless to me because cyclists would have a real hard time killing car drivers due to any potential reckless cycling as a result of listening to music!

However, in bringing up these issues of people being distracted by music/radio in cars, doesn't that then further the argument for cyclists to be even more alert and aware of these people who may be too distracted to see them? If a car is blaring loud music, they're usually easily heard and so you can perhaps anticipate a problem...assuming you're not listening to music yourself! :biggrin:

chris__P

personally i prefer to be as safe as possible at all times. that means always wearing bright colours, very often hi-viz, lots of lights when its dark, helmet, etc. and NO headphones. the point is, its your choice whether you do any or all of the above, but there are two very simple facts.

1 - being able to hear what is going on around you will make your ride safer
2 - wearing headphones impairs ability to hear what is going on around you

its a calculated risk. you might want to just use them on quiet roads and not on a busy london commute for example. if you've ever read a book 'Discovery Road' there is a bit in there about a Japanese tourer who was riding across Oz on a deserted road, who was listening to his headphones, swerved around some roadkill just as a truck was coming past from behind. Aparrantly they were scraping bits of him off the road for half a mile. lovely.

Norm

Had a strange one today.

I was merrily riding out to the west of Maidenhead when I heard an engine approaching from behind. This was on a wide country road so I wasn't worried but I did a quick shoulder check to eyeball the enemy.

The road behind me was completely empty.

Over the next few seconds, the engine got louder and louder but, no matter how many times I checked, the road behind me stayed resolutely free of traffic.

Just as it got to the point that I was sure I was about to be mown down by the ghost of Genevieve or something, I realised that I was riding past the home field of the West London Aero Club and there, about 50 feet above me and coming in to land, was the Piper Comanche which was making all the noise.

chris__P said:
personally i prefer to be as safe as possible at all times. that means always wearing bright colours, very often hi-viz, lots of lights when its dark, helmet, etc. and NO headphones. the point is, its your choice whether you do any or all of the above, but there are two very simple facts.

1 - being able to hear what is going on around you will make your ride safer
2 - wearing headphones impairs ability to hear what is going on around you

Not two facts, but two opinions and poor ones at that.

Upon hearing traffic around you do you ride any differently than when you don't hear any traffic? Would you cross the road by only listening to see if it's clear?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Stig-OT-Dump said:
Again, I don't think that is the best comparison going. By sitting in a cab / car it is already recognised that you are removed from your environment. The provision of and training in the use of mirrors is evidence of the levels of compensation already being made. Had you mentioned wind noise (perhaps as exacerbated by use of helmets), then I might have found your argument more convincing.

This really shows how you believe hearing should replace looking. That is not what is taught in National Standards/bikeability, so the experts don't agree with your stance.

lukesdad

BentMikey said:
This really shows how you believe hearing should replace looking. That is not what is taught in National Standards/bikeability, so the experts don't agree with your stance.

And I dont agree with yours. To be totally aware of your enviroment you need to have 100% use of your available senses. So before you criticise other road users, remember this; People in glasshouses shouldnt throw stones.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
No, they're telling you to look and not rely on your hearing. Too many people on here are wrongly suggesting hearing is very important when cycling, when it is looking that counts above all else.

lukesdad

What are you talking about all your senses are important when doing anything why impare one. Dont belittle one to suit your own point of view.Nobody has said that hearing is more important than looking when your riding.

Top Bottom