Headphones whilst Cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
I asked a question on a hifi forum a while back for recommendations on headphones for use when cycling - was after something that gave decent sound but could also be worn with a helmet - in the end I got advice to get a pair of hang on your ears like glasses type things which I've been happy with. What I didn't expect was the massive shitstorm that followed with people ranting that cyclists shouldn't wear headphones then onto just ranting about cyclists in general, before a moderator locked the thread.

But what do you think? Is wearing headphones whilst on a busy commute dangerous? Here's my take on the matter:

PROS
1. Makes my commute a great deal less boring, and motivates me.
2. My headphones are 'open backed' - they let sound in so they don't block sound, rather the music is just added to it.
3. I've found I can actually hear cars better with them on, as the foam blocks deafening wind rumble.
4. Cars are mostly quiet anyway and I rarely hear them until they start to pass even without headphones on.

CONS
1. May be distracting.

I am somewhat hard of hearing - never wear headphones except at home where it is necessary to hear television etc - however, headphone thing is a total red herring - when cycling if there is a lot of traffic it is either from the front and you can see it or behind - if it is from behind then in normal circumstances you just have to let it get on with it - not much you can do to avoid it if it is going to get you - if manouvering (passing parked cars, junctions etc) then you need to keep an eye on the traffic by careful observation

The only time that I get caught out is on very tiny roads where there is little or no traffic and a car sneaks up behind me and cannot get past - However i am aware of that situation and regularly check behind

My only reservation would be that by excluding all traffic sound would sometimes become a little disorieneteering

gavintc

Guru
Headphones, helmets and mudguards produce irrational responses on this forum. I propose that you do a quick search on the subject and then do what you think is suitable for you.

Arch

Married to Night Train
It's something that comes up over and over, and is always contentious, like helmets and RLJing and all that.

Personally, I only have music on on long solo rides in the country, and use in-the-ear earphones, and never loud enough to drown out ambient sound - often I just wear one earpiece. I'm confident that when I use them, I'm not cutting out any of the hearing I need to be safe. Whether all users can say the same, I can't say, but I'm not bothered enough to berate them for it. I kind of feel that anyone so addicted to music as to have it at a distracting or blocking level might well not be someone who pays a lot of attention to road safety anyway - when I walk round town with my earpieces in, I pay very careful attention crossing the road for example, whereas many of those who just step out oblivious while wired up might well be the sort to step out oblivious anyway...

For me, it's each to their own, and on their head be it. I'll always, when cycling or driving, assume unpredictability in others anyway.

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Apologies, should have done a search before posting this - didn't notice the big thread about it!

Mods feel free to close this.

Plax

Guru
I will on occassion wear headphones when cycling, but only if it is for long distances and take one ear out just to be on the "safe side" if I come to a lot of traffic. I don't have it too loud and have never had a problem hearing traffic.

I don't care if people wear headphones when cycling so long as they cycle considerately. Likewise I don't care if people wear a helmet or not. I usually wear a helmet but today I haven't bothered. Yesterday I didn't bother either and I was wearing headphones and only had one rear light as I seem to have lost the other one. Gosh I felt so naughty! :biggrin:

Never mind the vitriolic responses to cyclists not wearing headphones, what about all of the suicidal eejit peds who are so locked into their Ipods that they forget to use any form of survival instinct and just step off kerbs without so much as a glance :evil:
I use Sony in-the-ear type, I'll try and find the model as they are good for maximising bass response. I keep the playing volume down so that I can still hear what's going on around me though.

That's true.....The big problem with peds is they don't seem to have to take any responsibility....either that or they wern't taught the Green Cross Code in Finishing School.

The PC Brigade will be after me now.:evil:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Deaf people manage cycle perfectly well, there is no reason where wearing headphones should make it any more dangerous. The important thing is to look, cycling blind is not a good idea...

I don't know if I agree with the deafness analogy. Deaf people have impaired hearing / can't hear. It is a permanent state that causes the person to develop different coping mechanisms to compensate. Listening to music / radio / podcasts through earphones is actively distracting and focuses your attention "elsewhere" - it is in no way comparing like with like.

Thing is whatever you want to do is your choice, so doesn't matter what anyone thinks! I know myself I'd never do it because I love music and I get way to into it. I also don't like listening to music too quietly or it's not worth it.

I am a little deaf myself but the difference between having a hearing difficulty and listening to music, if people are going to use that as a comparison, is that people with a hearing difficulty or full on deaf have that problem ALL the time. We adapt to compensate. Adding music that reduces hearing ability is a potential distraction addition that partially subtracts a sense you're used to having. It's true that when you lose one of your senses the others step up to compensate, but it's far from immediate - it's a gradual evolution. Also, you're not exactly losing a sense as you are preoccupying it.

Although, in saying that, perhaps by doing it over time you would in fact evolve to compensate in some manner, though likely not entirely as it's not a permanant state...hmmm, now THAT could be an interesting experiment! lol

Personally if asked to make a decision, I'd advise against it in the same way I advise wearing a helmet. Sure, it might not make a difference but then I'd rather know that I played it safe and it was unavoidable than always wonder "maybe if I'd been wearing a helmet/not listening to music, I could have avoided it or it wouldn't have been so bad?" Get me?

End of the day, though, is if you're happy and feel competent enough to cycle while listening to music - go for it! Each to their own! :smile: Might I suggest a little Metallica or just heavy rock/metal music. That'll get those feet peddling :smile:

Top Bottom