Heads Up. Drugs side effects.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Here is an interesting article about Statin Myopathy from a respected journal. I have been through the process and have not found a Statin therapy that does not induce muscle pain. I have tried various management regimes and other Cholestrol lowering compounds too - resins, Ezetimibe etc etc. I currently take plant sterols, but the effects, if any, are yet to be evaluated. I wish I could tolerate Statins, and they were certainly effective, but the side effects were making it difficult for me to take any exercise, and after discussion with my GP it was decided that I should no longer take them, and that I should try and control my lipid levels by diet and exercise.

I feel for you mate, I had a bad reaction to Simvastatin and a couple of others but it's tolerable with the new one. Alas diet + exercise doesn't always do enough. Dad was on an ultra-low cholesterol diet for years (+ exercise + no alcohol etc etc) and he still had cholesterol levels well into double figures when he had the second attack! All OK now, he just rattles when he walks he's on so many different pills ^_^

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Have you tried Atorvastatin? It's worked for me but maybe I've been lucky. I'm on Ezetimibe, Ramipril, Bisoprolol Fumarate and aspirin as well without any harmful or debilitating side effects
Yes, I have tried all of them, including rosuvastatin, which is thought to have the fewest side effects - I couldn't even take this on an intermittent basis - once a week, which is often well tolerated.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
I was recently prescribed Prozac for exhausting menopausal symptoms as my Doctor had had good results with it when she had prescribed it to other women in my situation. My main problems were mind numbing exhaustion which was probably not helped by very poor sleep, dreadful bone ache particularly in my hips and legs and hideous mind fog. I need to be on top of my game for my job so the mind fog was proving quite dangerous. I would find myself unable to make decisions and forgetting how to do simple things. I even stopped myself driving for a while as i couldn't remember journeys that i had just made.

I was sceptical when she suggested it as i only knew of it as an anti depressant however 2 months in and my sleep is much better, i don't get the bone ache or the mind fog and being an AD i get the lift in mood as a bonus.

I will say my first week was not pleasant with constant nausea, insomnia and a bizzare out of body feeling which resulted in a week off work but by day 10 that had all disappeared.

Codine makes me drop off to sleep in the blink of an eye.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My main problems were mind numbing exhaustion which was probably not helped by very poor sleep, dreadful bone ache particularly in my hips and legs and hideous mind fog.
I had similar exhaustion and mind fog post-illness in 2012/13. It was so bad that I started to feel like it would have been better not to have survived the illness! I felt too tired to do much other than watch TV or use the Internet, but half the time I literally 'lost the plot' - I couldn't take in what was happening in dramas.

I read somewhere that vitamin B deficiency can cause similar symptoms so I decided to take a daily B-complex supplement. The symptoms went away pretty quickly and have not returned.

I don't know if it had been a vit-B problem or whether it was just my mind and body struggling to recover from the illness. I'll keep taking the supplement for 'insurance'. The only side effect that I have noticed is bright yellow urine!

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Here is an interesting article about Statin Myopathy from a respected journal. I have been through the process and have not found a Statin therapy that does not induce muscle pain. I have tried various management regimes and other Cholestrol lowering compounds too - resins, Ezetimibe etc etc. I currently take plant sterols, but the effects, if any, are yet to be evaluated. I wish I could tolerate Statins, and they were certainly effective, but the side effects were making it difficult for me to take any exercise, and after discussion with my GP it was decided that I should no longer take them, and that I should try and control my lipid levels by diet and exercise.

I was chatting to a colleague today, and her father has been in terrible muscle pain with high dose statins. Had them for many years and now has permanent pain/nerve damage.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Vit's B and D are quite essential. Docs won't test, but you can get them tested privately quite cheaply. There is also a company called Jarrows that manufacture high quality, high strength tablets. These work (amazon and delivery from the US usually). I do a week of boosters on these tablets once in a blue moon.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Went on a Sleep Therapy course today, NHS. Most folk never said much, all looked knackered.:sad: Most were older, and the mindfullness and other techniques would have helped. One young lass and another bloke my age. I raised the issue towards the end about chronic pain, and even using techniques, as it's next to impossible when the pain kicks in to sleep.

Very difficult for professionals when you say the drugs don't stop the pain. Some of the poor folk hadn't heard of some ways of getting to sleep. It was all very practical and offered advice. Mentioned my pain drug that was great for sleep anxiety, and was also great for chilling you out - in a jokey way. :rolleyes:

I'm still getting weird brain zaps from withdrawal, but it's getting less. I picked up my prescription today and my GP has responded to my request on the renewal form to drop the dose in half. My wife want's me to go in, but when you work full time and are in and out of the practice too much already, I thought this would be better. I don't need to go in. I understand what the drugs do, but the side effects aren't for me.

Got an ear bashing on the way home from the course from my wife about 'me', but trying to work full time, and being under Occ Health Review, makes it impossible to keep taking time off. I can't keep doing it. My trigger points have been extended to one sick occasion a month, max 10 days in 6 months. This has been my pattern in the last 6 months from pain. I'm suffering from the withdrawal, but I am going in, I can't push too many medical appointments. I already lose 3 hours every other week to get my jab !

Part of the reason I was off in the last 6 months was the meds. Pain was getting worse, went to get help, but, blimey, the drugs really stop you functioning. I'm glad I could ride to work, but I know I wasn't safe. No way would I have driven though.

I know my bonnet surf was partly the drugs a couple of weeks ago !

classic33

Leg End Member
I had similar exhaustion and mind fog post-illness in 2012/13. It was so bad that I started to feel like it would have been better not to have survived the illness! I felt too tired to do much other than watch TV or use the Internet, but half the time I literally 'lost the plot' - I couldn't take in what was happening in dramas.

I read somewhere that vitamin B deficiency can cause similar symptoms so I decided to take a daily B-complex supplement. The symptoms went away pretty quickly and have not returned.

I don't know if it had been a vit-B problem or whether it was just my mind and body struggling to recover from the illness. I'll keep taking the supplement for 'insurance'. The only side effect that I have noticed is bright yellow urine!
What is yours is telling you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom