Heads Up. Drugs side effects.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
What I explain to patients is that nothing is free...Every medicine has a cost and often the cost is one of the side effects of the medication.

I'm so old that my drugs are free! I discovered a rather grim website about four years ago that gave me the details about individual drugs...benefits and side effects. ( I can't find it right now.) The benefits were listed in about four lines on the screen. The side effects were listed on the next four pages. One of them was always "unexplained sudden loss of consciousness and immediate death", or something. I'm taking six fairly potent drugs daily and I'm just fine.....and no, I haven't won the Lottery either.

Tin Pot

Guru
Antibiotics: Cured infections
Cannabis: Panic attacks

I see no value in this thread other than stirring up panic and fear against legitimately prescribed, scientifically tested medicines and encouraging idiots to use witch doctors and Internet drugs.

Reactions: srw

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Antibiotics: Cured infections
Cannabis: Panic attacks

I see no value in this thread other than stirring up panic and fear against legitimately prescribed, scientifically tested medicines and encouraging idiots to use witch doctors and Internet drugs.
Is hyperbole a side effect of whatever you are on? ;)

A number of legitimately prescribed, scientifically tested medicines have been withdrawn over the years as a result of the, well.., err.., side effects.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Ah, Clonazepam - a pussycat of a drug ... :whistle:

You should check with your doctor immediately if any of these side effects occur when taking clonazepam:

More common
-Body aches or pain
-chills
-cough
-difficulty with breathing
-discouragement
-dizziness
-ear congestion
-feeling sad or empty
-fever
-headache
-irritability
-lack of appetite
-loss of interest or pleasure
-loss of voice
-nasal congestion
-poor coordination
-runny nose
-shakiness and unsteady walk
-sleepiness or unusual drowsiness
-sneezing
-sore throat
-tiredness
-trouble with concentrating
-trouble with sleeping
-unsteadiness, trembling, or other problems with muscle control or coordination
-unusual tiredness or weakness

Less common
-Being forgetful
-bladder pain
-bloody or cloudy urine
-changes in patterns and rhythms of speech
-diarrhea
-difficult, burning, or painful urination
-frequent urge to urinate
-general feeling of discomfort or illness
-joint pain
-loss of appetite
-lower back or side pain
-mood or mental changes
-muscle aches and pains
-nausea
-nervousness
-problems in urination or increase in the amount of urine
-shivering
-slurred speech
-sore throat
-sweating
-trouble with speaking
-vomiting

Rare
-Burning, crawling, itching, numbness, prickling, "pins and needles", or tingling feelings
-changes in skin color
-chest pain or discomfort
-cold sweats
-colds
-confusion
-cough or hoarseness
-difficulty with sleeping
-dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness when getting up from a lying or sitting position
-excessive dreaming
-excessive muscle tone
-excitement
-falling
-fast, irregular, pounding, or racing heartbeat or pulse
-feeling mad
-feeling of unreality
-flu-like symptoms
-headache, severe and throbbing
-lack of feeling or emotion
-lack or loss of self-control
-muscle stiffness
-muscle tension or tightness
-nightmares
-pain, inflammation, or swelling in the calves, shoulders, or hands
-pain or swelling in the arms or legs without any injury
-pain, tenderness, or swelling of the foot or leg
-partial or slight paralysis
-scaling
-sense of detachment from self or body
-shakiness in the legs, arms, hands, or feet
-shortness of breath
-skin rash
-sleeplessness
-swelling around the eyes
-swelling of the face, ankle, foot, or knees
-thoughts of killing oneself changes in behavior
-tightness in the chest
-trembling or shaking of the hands or feet
-troubled breathing
-unable to sleep
-uncaring
-vision changes
-wheezing

Incidence not known
-Anxiety
-black, tarry stools
-bleeding gums
-blood in the urine or stools
-change in consciousness
-chest congestion
-difficulty with coordination
-double vision
-drowsiness
-dry mouth
-feeling that others are watching you or controlling your behavior
-feeling that others can hear your thoughts
-feeling, seeing, or hearing things that are not there
-hyperventilation
-irregular, fast, slow, or shallow breathing
-irregular, twisting uncontrolled movement of the face, hands, arms, or legs
-loss of consciousness
-loss of interest or pleasure
-loss of memory
-loss of strength or energy
-loss of voice
-muscle weakness
-pale or blue lips, fingernails, or skin
-pinpoint red spots on the skin
-problems with memory
-restlessness
-right upper abdominal pain and fullness
-severe mood or mental changes
-sores, ulcers, or white spots on the lips or in the mouth
-swollen glands
-troubled breathing with exertion
-uncontrolled eye movements
-unusual behavior
-unusual bleeding or bruising
-unusual weak feeling
-vivid dreams
-weight loss or gain

FFS!!!!! :eek:
That's not an uncommon list. All they do, I gather, is list everything everyone's ever reported as a possible side effect. Which isn't desperately scientific.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...

A number of legitimately prescribed, scientifically tested medicines have been withdrawn over the years as a result of the, well.., err.., side effects.
On the other hand I've now taken the drug you mentioned twice - once for moderate to severe depression, once for severe anxiety. After the first couple of days (utterly grim, in common with the other anti-depressants I've tried) it's worked and the side-effects have been mostly plain sailing. The only frustrating one that I don't seem to be able to control is weight gain.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
I'm so old that my drugs are free! .

When I say they have a cost, I am referring more to the price you pay in terms of side effects - but if you are thinking in terms of finance, they're free to you - but costing the NHS (and therefore ultimately tax payers)
There's no such thing as a free lunch as the saying goes.

Tin Pot

Guru

I have some homeopathic water for £6.99 per month, £5.99 if you set up a direct debit.

It will be perfect for you.

It has absolutely no side effects.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I have some homeopathic water for £6.99 per month, £5.99 if you set up a direct debit.

It will be perfect for you.

It has absolutely no side effects.
You usually do better.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
GPs explaining side effects.... pull the other one. Wouldn't trust a GP as far as I can throw one. Sick to the back teeth of the lies and cover ups. Shysters the lot of em.

The advice from 4 GPs in the last 3 years has cost me my career. Lucky to still have a job.

The latest set of pain drugs have been horrible. Concentration issues, out of control sweating, mens problems, constipation, clumsyness. I'll stick with excruciating pain instead.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Must say I agree with Fossyant plain don't give a fark and dish out some of this shoot like Smarties without much care and attention. They looked at me like a loon when I said I could barely get up and go to work and once there all I wanted to do was get home to sleep on the Amitriptyline and the lack of cycling due to the med was making it worse. I managed to get to 50 without experiencing the hopelessness that a pain clinic gives you, would never had understood until I experienced it myself.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Ami, gabapentin, pregablin and duloxetine. Nasty crap. Not a set of meds to take if you've got to be out at work.

Sorry none have worked for you Foss, chronic pain is very hard to cope with - but, all the medicines in your list do have good effects for lots of people and I wouldn't want people reading this thread to think there is nothing that can be done to help them.
As I have already written, Amitryptyline has worked reasonably well for me. Some days I don't feel too lively - but then nor did I when I was managing about 2 hours sleep a night for weeks on end.
At present I an having a flare up in my left shoulder - but have only needed my Codeine on a few nights. The trike has been a great help as I am still able to get out and about. 56 miles on Saturday and I rode the entire ride with my left arm resting on my chest.
I do hope that you do find something that works for you soon

Top Bottom