Heads Up. Drugs side effects.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
I had Amitripline for shingles. a dose of 200mg was making me sleep for 12+ hours and the doc said the dose for depression was traditionally 2000mg! Reckoned people were not depressed due to being unconscious

currently on amitriptyline , gabapentin, took a long long time to get used to them but more or less ok now , horrible side effects as mentioned upthread.
also on fentanyl patches , apparently 25 times stronger than morphine and more potent than heroin, sweating is unbelevable , not too bad now but at the beggining , i could be cold then all of a sudden within 30 secs i was absolutely soaked, without exageration , everything i was wearing would be piss wet with sweat,as for side effects

http://www.drugs.com/fentanyl.html

Jody

Stubborn git
I had Amitripline for shingles. a dose of 200mg was making me sleep for 12+ hours and the doc said the dose for depression was traditionally 2000mg! Reckoned people were not depressed due to being unconscious

Think your doc was a touch wrong. Max dose is meant to be 150mg. Are you sure it wasn't 20mg you were prescribed?

Outpatients:
Usual dose: 75 mg orally per day in divided doses; this may be increased to a total of 150 mg per day if needed
Alternate dose: 40 to 100 mg orally as a single dose at bedtime; this may be increased by 25 or 50 mg as needed at bedtime to a total of 150 mg per day
Maximum dose: 150 mg orally per day

jay clock

Massive member
Think your doc was a touch wrong. Max dose is meant to be 150mg. Are you sure it wasn't 20mg you were prescribed?

Outpatients:
Usual dose: 75 mg orally per day in divided doses; this may be increased to a total of 150 mg per day if needed
Alternate dose: 40 to 100 mg orally as a single dose at bedtime; this may be increased by 25 or 50 mg as needed at bedtime to a total of 150 mg per day
Maximum dose: 150 mg orally per day
quite likely I am wrong! But the shingles treatment is 10% of the amount used in the olden days and even that 10% level was a knockout!

Amitriptyline, couldn't function on it for nerve pain only minor relief, but I was told I didn't give it long enough nor rack up to a big enough dose to have the full effect Christ I would have spent my life in bed. Worse than the pain itself IMO.

I have subsequently refused all the other stuff the anti seizure gear they dish put for nerve pain. My last pain clinic I was told either take one of the sedating side effect meds, or see one of their pain psychologists to teach me to live the rest of my life in pain. Honestly they are useless, I have little faith in Dr's As a last resort they gave me a 4 month prescription of Prozac, as it is now being trialled by some Pain clinic for nerve pain.
I was prescribed amitriptyline for nerve-pain (sciatica).
Took one in the pharmacist's car-park and got lost on the way home

classic33

Leg End Member
That's not an uncommon list. All they do, I gather, is list everything everyone's ever reported as a possible side effect. Which isn't desperately scientific.
And the side effects can vary between manufacturer's of the same medication.
Licence changed hands, and within five days I'm passing blood. The chemists that delivered the prescription had covered the manufacturer's label with their own, so I was unaware of the change.
Finding out that a change had been made prevented a stay in hospital. Not in the list of known side effects, so it was "Yellow Carded". Over a year later, the new manufacturer admitted there was a difference in the formulation, despite earlier denials.

Reactions: srw

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Licence changed hands, and within five days I'm passing blood. The chemists that delivered the prescription had covered the manufacturer's label with their own, so I was unaware of the change.
Finding out that a change had been made prevented a stay in hospital. Not in the list of known side effects, so it was "Yellow Carded". Over a year later, the new manufacturer admitted there was a difference in the formulation, despite earlier denials.
The pharmacist in the surgery, quite rightly, gets the cheapest version of the drug I'm on. There are subtle differences in the formulation, I suspect of the pill coating and the bulking ingredients, so back in the day when I was on a single prescription each month I sometimes had a noticeably different set of (minor) side-effects.

classic33

Leg End Member
The pharmacist in the surgery, quite rightly, gets the cheapest version of the drug I'm on. There are subtle differences in the formulation, I suspect of the pill coating and the bulking ingredients, so back in the day when I was on a single prescription each month I sometimes had a noticeably different set of (minor) side-effects.
The newer version was £16.75 per tablet, compared to the old version of 45p per tablet. Passing blood in your urine isn't mentioned on the side effects yet.

Same medication is now being blamed for bone thinning, due to long term abuse, 38 years on it, and still taking it. Treatment can begin only when I can stop taking it. 38 years ago they weren't aware of the long term effects its seems.

And I thought that was just me. I get a reaction to some statins. Recently we found one that worked without the muscle cramps...until I got a different batch from another manufacturer. Grrrrr. Currently on my 4th type.

Tin Pot

Guru
And I thought that was just me. I get a reaction to some statins. Recently we found one that worked without the muscle cramps...until I got a different batch from another manufacturer. Grrrrr. Currently on my 4th type.

I'm holding off a doctors visit because I'm worried he'll prescribe statins to reduce cholesterol, even though the link between cholesterol and heart disease is unproven.

Apparently it affects your muscle healing quite significantly.

I'm holding off a doctors visit because I'm worried he'll prescribe statins to reduce cholesterol, even though the link between cholesterol and heart disease is unproven.

Apparently it affects your muscle healing quite significantly.

There's an awful lot of scare-mongering about statins to be honest. Yes, they *sometimes* have side effects, I know, I'm one of those who suffers. BUT if you have stress or genetically driven high cholesterol they can be an absolute life-saver. Without any doubt my father is still alive today because of them. If you find that the first statin they prescribe you gives you the aches then ask to try another...there are loads and for many folk that need them there's one that works right for them. As with many drugs you have to weigh up the benefits against the positives yourself. Personally I'm prepared to put up with them if I avoid what my dad went through before he got them.

Good luck either way.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
There's an awful lot of scare-mongering about statins to be honest. Yes, they *sometimes* have side effects, I know, I'm one of those who suffers. BUT if you have stress or genetically driven high cholesterol they can be an absolute life-saver. Without any doubt my father is still alive today because of them. If you find that the first statin they prescribe you gives you the aches then ask to try another...there are loads and for many folk that need them there's one that works right for them. As with many drugs you have to weigh up the benefits against the positives yourself. Personally I'm prepared to put up with them if I avoid what my dad went through before he got them.

Good luck either way.
Here is an interesting article about Statin Myopathy from a respected journal. I have been through the process and have not found a Statin therapy that does not induce muscle pain. I have tried various management regimes and other Cholestrol lowering compounds too - resins, Ezetimibe etc etc. I currently take plant sterols, but the effects, if any, are yet to be evaluated. I wish I could tolerate Statins, and they were certainly effective, but the side effects were making it difficult for me to take any exercise, and after discussion with my GP it was decided that I should no longer take them, and that I should try and control my lipid levels by diet and exercise.

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I have been through the process and have not found a Statin therapy that does not induce muscle pain. I have tried various management regimes and other Cholestrol lowering compounds too - resins, Ezetimibe etc etc.
Have you tried Atorvastatin? It's worked for me but maybe I've been lucky. I'm on Ezetimibe, Ramipril, Bisoprolol Fumarate and aspirin as well without any harmful or debilitating side effects.

Top Bottom