Headset Bearing Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfraser

Über Member
Coming home tonight something didn't feel right. There's a slight grinding coming from the top headset bearings. Do I just need to re-grease or will I need to replace? If I need to replace is there a standard? I guess I'll see what I need when I have a look tomorrow.

Many thanks in advance.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Open it up.

You will either have loose/caged bearings - check the races top and bottom and if they are ok simply replace the bearings (£2).

If you have sealed bearings you will need to replace the bearing - many have all the vital measurements written on the side so have a look.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
If they're grinding it is likely they have worn or rusted and I would definitely replace them. As to what you need to replace, it depends on the type of head set that you have. Nowadays there are all sorts of variations including integrated and semi - integrated and you will need to replace like for like. It is worth checking that the races are still smooth because otherwise they will need replacing as well as the bearings. Also worth checking the lower bearings and races as if the top bearings are worn it is likely that the bottom ones are too.

OP
OP
andyfraser

andyfraser

Über Member
Open it up.

You will either have loose/caged bearings - check the races top and bottom and if they are ok simply replace the bearings (£2).

If you have sealed bearings you will need to replace the bearing - many have all the vital measurements written on the side so have a look.
Are bearings, sealed or otherwise, easy to get hold of? I need the bike back on the road for Monday.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Are bearings, sealed or otherwise, easy to get hold of? I need the bike back on the road for Monday.
Loose bearings are in every bike shop, about £2 for a little plastic bagful with enough for your headset. If it's a sealed cartridge, you may have to order it but I don't think it'd do serious damage to keep riding on a dud cartridge for a short while.

Hasn't www.Bromptonbikehire.com reached Swindon yet? :sad: That'd give you time to fix it

OP
OP
andyfraser

andyfraser

Über Member
Maybe tell us what bike it is?
Kona Dew Deluxe. The specs say "TH Internal", whatever that means, Google wasn't much help. I'll know more when I've had a look.
Loose bearings are in every bike shop, about £2 for a little plastic bagful with enough for your headset. If it's a sealed cartridge, you may have to order it but I don't think it'd do serious damage to keep riding on a dud cartridge for a short while.

Hasn't www.Bromptonbikehire.com reached Swindon yet? :sad: That'd give you time to fix it
I have other bikes. It's just my hybrid will be most practical on Monday. If the worst comes to the worst I'll use my road bike and run my errands later in the week.

Given how cheap and easy loose bearings seem to be, my money's on me having a sealed unit.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
https://www.canecreek.com/headset-fit-finder

Make Model and Year, should be on there. Also in the past I have found dropping the forks out and giving a clean and wipe over will resolve it. Some sealed BB bearing are only sealed by a bit of cardboard which can be carefully removed so you can get some grease in maybe your headset one might be similar. Ultimately the best way is to drop the forks out and take a look.

OP
OP
andyfraser

andyfraser

Über Member
https://www.canecreek.com/headset-fit-finder

Make Model and Year, should be on there. Also in the past I have found dropping the forks out and giving a clean and wipe over will resolve it. Some sealed BB bearing are only sealed by a bit of cardboard which can be carefully removed so you can get some grease in maybe your headset one might be similar. Ultimately the best way is to drop the forks out and take a look.
Thanks for that. That's a useful site. I'll have the fork out tomorrow morning and take a look at what's going on.

Top Bottom