Headset bearing play

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spizz 23

Hi all, sorry to come back to this forum after a long absence, with a problem, but my Giant roadbike SCR 1.0, developed some play in the headset and despite adjusting the adjustment bolt, it never really got better, so I decided to change the bearings as I thought after 10 years it was probably overdue, with the new bearings in I can now eliminate headset movement, but this only overtightens the bearings and locks up the steering, there seems to be no in between ground, either a slightly loose headset or too tight steering, so at the moment i opt for a loose headset any help or comments would be appreciated

Regards from Mark

gbb

Legendary Member
Did you change the whole thing or just the bearing race ?
Are you sure you've got the right bearing ?
Are you adjusting it right ?..undo stem bolts, adjust top cap screw till correct, tighten stem bolts.

OP
OP
Spizz 23

Spizz 23

Hi there , changed top and bottom bearing . L B Shop sold me the bearings having showed them the old ones, they looked exactly the same as the old ones and are a good fit. yes I have loosened the stem bolts before adjusting top screw ?

Mark

Reactions: gbb

accountantpete

Brexiteer
It should be easy - tighten up with the hex key in the top cap until the steering gets slightly stiff then back off with the hex key by a small amount and check for for any play with the brakes on.

If you still have play then either the headset is not seated correctly or the races have worn.

OP
OP
Spizz 23

Spizz 23

Thanks for reply, yep I realise its a simple job, have adjusted it many times , but this time it is either too loose or too tight, beginning to think the adjuster cap is tightening on too much onto the headset stem, which it shouldnt do should it ? according to some similar threads on here, what follows if the races are worn ...? Also will it help if I put an extra spacer on the steering column ?
Mark

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Thanks for reply, yep I realise its a simple job, have adjusted it many times , but this time it is either too loose or too tight, beginning to think the adjuster cap is tightening on too much onto the headset stem, which it shouldnt do should it ? according to some similar threads on here, what follows if the races are worn ...? Also will it help if I put an extra spacer on the steering column ?
Mark

Have you got sealed bearings - rather than loose or caged bearings?

If so did you remember to fit the compression ring between the top bearing and the cap that fits over that bearing?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spizz 23

Spizz 23

Have you checked that the angles on the new bearings are the same aa the old?
No I have not checked this but will take apart and check, also another strange thing is that on my last few attempts when i adjust the hex bolt I can eliminate all play , the steering is nice and free, but when i tighten the two stem bolts to keep it all in place, the headset play returns just to annoy me, ! maybe I have got too much grease on the steering tube, ( I have read somewhere there shouldnt be any ) will de - grease and try again...

accountantpete

Brexiteer
No I have not checked this but will take apart and check, also another strange thing is that on my last few attempts when i adjust the hex bolt I can eliminate all play , the steering is nice and free, but when i tighten the two stem bolts to keep it all in place, the headset play returns just to annoy me, ! maybe I have got too much grease on the steering tube, ( I have read somewhere there shouldnt be any ) will de - grease and try again...

I had a Zipp stem that did something very similar - it seated itself upwards very slightly when tightening up.

If you can, add another spacer under the stem and when tightening up keep pressing down on the stem and see how that goes.

OP
OP
Spizz 23

Spizz 23

De - greased stem and added a small thin spacer, the problem is still there but not as bad, I think i am puting this down to the age of the bike and general wear and tear. Maybe the slight play is in the bearing races. Thanks for your comments

Mark

Top Bottom