Headset bearings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lpoolck

Veteran
I am not familiar with these type of headset bearings. Does anyone know how to remove them to service/replace them?

The bike is a carrera vanquish pro 2007-2008 (all black frame not the red one)

Thanks

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1376135024089.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1376135024089.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 587
  • uploadfromtaptalk1376135053309.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1376135053309.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 461
Not familiar with that specific headset but Carrera's often had semi-integrated headsets.

This involves inserting cups into the headtube (the larger circle of metal) and then inserting the bearings (the inner bit with an angled bevel).

From the looks of it you just need to remove the circlip (the thing ring with a gap in it) and that will allow the bearing to be removed.

Then post a pic of what you have got.

OP
OP
Lpoolck

Lpoolck

Veteran
Thanks. I will look to get some circlip pliers as the gap is so small using an improvised tool may damage the bearings etc.

Still think with the circlip out that the bearing still won't be able to come free. I think the top bit of metal needs to come off but I see no way how this can be removed.

OP
OP
Lpoolck

Lpoolck

Veteran
I have half tried that before but it didn't seem to budge and didn't wish to try with anymore conviction as I didn't really know what I was doing and was worried that I may damage the surroundings. But if your confident it will work I will give it a go. Cheers.

ushills

Veteran
I have the same bearing retainer on my mazzochi suspension forks and they are a bit of a pain to remove.

A fine screwdriver under the round wire retainer and another to stop it just spinning around and it should pop out.

Reinsertion is by inserting one end and pushing around until it's all back in place.

I'm pretty sure that if you remove the retaining circlip then the bearing will pop out but...

If the bearings are gone (it's 5 years old) it may not be serviceable. If that is the case you need to knock the top and bottom tubes out and insert a new headset.

this is roughly what you have

p4pb8488475.jpg

If this is the case you will need to measure the internal diameter of the headtube and get a semi-integrated headset that will fit that ID.

OP
OP
Lpoolck

Lpoolck

Veteran
Thanks to both of you. I will give this a try and see how I get on. The bottom bearing is a little rough. Not gone but this is why I was wanting to try to service them.

Would I not be able to buy replacement bearings instead of having to get a new semi integrated headset?

Thanks again to both of you for all your help.

ushills

Veteran
Yes, you should be able to find replacement bearings. Usually they will have a reference on them, there are loads of different types, or try your LBS for a replacement.

ushills

Veteran
Yes, you should be able to find replacement bearings. Usually they will have a reference on them, there are loads of different types, or try your LBS for a replacement.

Thanks to both of you. I will give this a try and see how I get on. The bottom bearing is a little rough. Not gone but this is why I was wanting to try to service them.

Would I not be able to buy replacement bearings instead of having to get a new semi integrated headset?

Thanks again to both of you for all your help.

As ushills said or they may be loose bearings - in which case check that the races are ok and then go down the LBS and get the same size bearings.

OP
OP
Lpoolck

Lpoolck

Veteran
Thanks for both your help with it I have managed to just do the job. Simple enough. The bearings were loose and not a cartridge as I thought before coming on here.

Few pics below if your interested and for others for whom it may assist.

Race
uploadfromtaptalk1376233841718.jpg

Bearings cleaned and repacked with grease (sorry no before picture bottom one as predicted needed doing. The grease was full of mud and dirt - bearings ok but will look to replace them after winter I think)
uploadfromtaptalk1376233885238.jpg

Thanks again for all your help. I owe you both one!

ushills

Veteran
Glad it worked out, must admit I was surprised that they were loose balls expected a cartridge from the image!

As they are loose I would make a habit of doing the grease in them annually or biannualy.

Top Bottom