Headset expander/compressor not compressing headset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickAKA

Über Member
The wife's new bike (Wilier) came with an expander plug for the steerer tube and I'm struggling to get any sort of 'load' onto the headset bearings - I can't see an obvious way for it to compress, I assumed it must pull down the top cap after it had expanded and you then nipped it up but I can still turn the spacers underneath the stem and there's no more adjustment on the centre bolt... am I missing something obvious here? I've seen some of the expanders are two piece assemblies where you tighten the expander then the top cap screws into that, but it's definitely 1 piece. I've ordered some carbon grip paste in case it's sliding up the steerer tube but I'm wondering if I'm missing something obvious here? TIA...

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
With the top cap off is there a gap between the top of the fork and the top of the stem

OP
OP
nickAKA

nickAKA

Über Member
Yeah I went with the 2mm gap theory when I cut the steerer down but I'll double check it, I'll put a bigger spacer on the top to start with and see if it's any different. I suspect the bung is slipping.

Top Bottom