Headset headache!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The OP's bearings will be cartridge ones. I suspect he doesn't know what caged bearings are. I cannot envisage how replacing the OP's bearings on this new bike will represent an 'upgrade' either.

OP
OP
P

pacomiller

Is there a problem with the current one's sealing?
I'd free the balls, grease well with good grease,put back together sealed.
With good maintenance, not overly onerous, if it's at all decent, there is a fair chance that it will outlive you for the cost of a few balls and some grease.
Then you can relieve yourself of all these mathematical complications and just ride your bike.

Edit - i see you have used the dread word "upgrading".
How do you think this new headset will upgrade the experience of riding your bike?
I don't just ride my bike,I put myself and my bike through the "ringer" I don't just ride my bike,how does one just ride there bike, they cannot without maintance,

Last edited by a moderator:

Ajax Bay

Guru
It's caged balls [I currently have], I want sealed.
Caged bearings (for the OP's info - he has FAG cartridge bearings aiui)
These require (adjustable) cup and cone races. I have these (or loose bearings) in my hubs, my headset and my bottom bracket (BB the minority of my bikes)
1611145458349.png

I put myself and my bike through the "ringer" I don't just ride my bike,how does one just ride there bike, they cannot without maintance,
You beast, you! Noone here is suggesting a bike "cannot [do] without maintenance". Asking WHY you want to replace your headset bearings (well any bearings really) is a simple question (@Blue Hills asks) (and the answer we'd expect is that they are feeling rough) not that it's because you think it'd be an 'upgrade'. Ride up grades. Only a very small proportion of headsets EVER need replacing.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom