headset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arch684

Veteran
Save your money young ed I use a long screwdriver and a hammer for removing the cups and a piece of pvc pipe with a cap to set the crown race.You can also make a headset press easy enough.Check out r j the bike guy on you tube headset video

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/park-tool-home-mechanic-bearing-cup-press/
you mean like this one? not massively expensive but you're right it isn't the cheapest tool i'll ever buy either and considering the amount of use it'll get realistically
TBH it looks like the sort of thing i could knock up in 10 mins with a bit of m10 threaded stud, a few washers and a couple m10 nuts

i'll knock something up for now and maybe sometime later when i have a few more quid i'll get the real deal
Cheers Ed
That is a rubbish tool and you can do something better in your barn. Park makes a better one too, but that's really expensive.
In our workshop we had a Park and a Pedro's but both were PITA. We eventually installed a large Record carpenter's vice and pressed the headsets in with that. Much quicker, especially if two people worked together, one held the frame, the other cranked the vice.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
For the crown race press I just use on old angular bearing on the CR and then a pipe on top of the bearing - you can gently tap down on the top of the pipe. In some cases the CR can be a very tight fit to get on the lower band - I just file away a bit at the top of the band so as it gets the CR started on its way.

Top Bottom