headset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
External shot from the side of the head tube and bearing cups please

The races look nadgered to me from the pics.

At a guess from the looks of it you have a semi-integrated headset (aka zero stack) -but confirm this to your own satisfaction or as fossyant is requesting show us a pic.

If so you can get a new headset with angular bearings (the sealed type) but you would need to remove the old crown race and then get a new headset which matches the ID of the headtube. TBH I would take it to the LBS if you are changing things as there are a lot of variables.

fossyant

You may indeed need a shop, if you don't know the bearing surface angles on the cartridge. My headset has 36 x 45 printed on the sides, but many are 45 x 45. This relates to the inside and outside angle of the edges.

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
13020544_585547734954291_1428071082_n.jpg

13020410_585548201620911_1070636878_n.jpg

not sure these are the shots your after, will take a closer inspection tomorrow, for numbers and scoring etc
otherwise it's a case of whack it back together and a trip down to one of the dreaded LBS's :/
Cheers Ed

fossyant

You'll see the one I linked to is a little different to the picture you put up. The races sit inside the head tube and you need to continue to use this type.

fossyant

Depends upon how mechanically minded/sympathetic you are to replace these. You ideally need a headset removal 'drift' which you tap with a hammer to knock the race out, but you need to keep it straight. To refit, if you are careful, you can do it with a couple of blocks of wood, and careful taps with a hammer but you must make sure each race is going in straight. Not for the faint hearted. You could of course make a bearing press from a long threaded bolt, big washers and a nut.

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
thanks! so i just buy the whole set that includes the races and the actual bearings?
being a mechanic (agricultural admittedly) and have some pretty impressive restorations to my name i think i'll give it a crack my self.
being only 17 and having been brought up well by my dad i tend to do it proper, so i'll spend the dosh and get the proper tools. just think of it as a (hopefully) long term investment as i'm only 17 :smile:
Cheers Ed

Depends upon how mechanically minded/sympathetic you are to replace these. You ideally need a headset removal 'drift' which you tap with a hammer to knock the race out, but you need to keep it straight. To refit, if you are careful, you can do it with a couple of blocks of wood, and careful taps with a hammer but you must make sure each race is going in straight. Not for the faint hearted. You could of course make a bearing press from a long threaded bolt, big washers and a nut.
^^^^^^
This.

@young Ed Even given you youth, I don't think a headset press is a good investment. It is super expensive. Make one as uncle Floissant suggested. Google it, I'm sure there are lots. Your tractor spares box will help, you will need some large washers with small holes. Buy the entire headset with bearings and all.

The semi-integrated cups knock out and push in fairly easy - the potentially dodgy part is getting a new headset that is the perfect fit for your headtube as they are a tight fit and some makers mucked about with the ID of the headtube. Worse case is you might have to ream a bit of the headtube or introduce a shim.

The only other thing is that the stack height can vary - try and get one that looks like the old one.

You will need to prise the old crown race away with a sharp flat bladed screwdriver very carefully - work around doing it bit by bit. The new crown race will probably have to be pressed onto the slightly wider section of the steerer at the bottom - improvise a tool for this.

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
^^^^^^
This.

@young Ed Even given you youth, I don't think a headset press is a good investment. It is super expensive. Make one as uncle Floissant suggested. Google it, I'm sure there are lots. Your tractor spares box will help, you will need some large washers with small holes. Buy the entire headset with bearings and all.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/park-tool-home-mechanic-bearing-cup-press/
you mean like this one? not massively expensive but you're right it isn't the cheapest tool i'll ever buy either and considering the amount of use it'll get realistically
TBH it looks like the sort of thing i could knock up in 10 mins with a bit of m10 threaded stud, a few washers and a couple m10 nuts

i'll knock something up for now and maybe sometime later when i have a few more quid i'll get the real deal
Cheers Ed

Top Bottom