Headteacher demands children cycling to school display number plates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The head of Beacon School in Banstead is insisting that children (11-18yrs) cycling to school must obtain a permit from the school, in the form of a number plate, to be displayed beneath the bike saddle. He's also threatening to lock up any bike belonging to a pupil who infringes his rules, releasing it only when a parent/carer collects it.

I think this guy is overstepping the mark on a grand scale. What worries me is that he refers to this approach being "highly effective" in other schools, which, if left unchallenged, is going to normalise the idea of restrictive legislation on a benign form of transport. It won't take long to be picked up by misguided campaigners and politicians who'd rather cycling wasn't as attractive as it currently is.

From road.cc:

A letter dated November 13 states that from Monday December 11, all students of the academy school for 11-18 year olds, “will require a cycling permit in the form of a number plate.”

The permit is obtained and issued after students and parents/carers sign a cycling agreement. “The number plate must be attached to the student’s bicycle underneath the seat so that all students can be identified cycling to and from school.”

(I know he also refers to needing to wear a helmet but please don't let that become the focus and drag the topic down to *that* dungeon. I'd rather discuss the legality and overall implications of allowing schools to dictate conditions for those using active travel to get to school.)

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
If it results in less kids cycling in, then that is a shame.

U

User32269

Would be a more effective policy to insist all the stressed parents taking there kids to school in cars undertake advanced driving training. Could then take the keys from anyone not displaying the sticker.

If my kids cycled to his school I would show up with my angle grinder to get their bikes free from being locked up.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My 13yo is one of only two, in his school of 1800+, who cycles to school. The other cyclist rides 1/2 a mile each way whilst mine rides 6+ miles.

This seems utterly stupid. However he appears to have brought the idea from his previous school, hence his 'evidence', which was at Glyn School.

Hmmm ... I'm off work ... do I send comments to: https://twitter.com/TheBeaconSch and https://twitter.com/batchelor1666 who I presume rides for Sky given the photo :rolleyes:

dodgy

They're getting a shoeing on Twitter :laugh: @TheBeaconSch

swansonj

Guru
The comprehensive my daughter went to have done this for ages. The stated purpose is so that local residents could report bad cycling and the offender could more easily be identified. I believe it may have been introduced by the last head but three who firmly believed, as part of his drive to improve behaviour, self-respect , and hence standards, that the school had a legitimate say over anything whatsoever that pupils did where the school was identifiable. He was known for hurtling into the local park well after school hours if he thought a group of pupils were behaving inappropriately. His personality was such that he got away with it. And it worked in that the standards and reputation of the school have not equalled his reign for twenty years since.

So I haven't viewed a school insisting on number plates as necessarily quite so malign.

Top Bottom