Headwind+Tailwind, or constant crosswind?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

razabbs

A point of discussion. I have a selection of routes that I'll use/adjust/bastardise on a regular basis depending on wind speed and direction etc, and wherever possible I'll try to plan my route to two criteria. That will be having a headwind on the way out and a tailwind on the way back in, and having a tailwind on the busier roads to reduce the closing speed (pretty much every road around here is NSL)

Anyway, I was riding a week or so back and the wind wasn't as expected but instead it was a pretty decent crosswind where I was expecting a slight tailwind(thanks to all the people in Lincolnshire who have flags and flagpoles in their gardens!) but with my new bike this year (with 40mm deep wheels) the crosswind felt much easier than it ever was on my previous bike. This raised the question of how do other people plan their routes depending on the wind(or do they even do that?)

Let's say it's a perfectly Southerly wind and there are two roads running East-West and North-South with a little loop at the end to turn around.
Are you taking the North South?(running North or south first or are you having a crosswind for the entire ride?

Brandane

Legendary Member
I'm taking the northbound road. Conveniently in my case this takes me to Glasgow, from where I catch the hourly train service home!
North wind - obviously take the train TO Glasgow and ride home (about 38 miles).
Sod's law says that the prevailing wind is westerly though. That involves 2 trains. Easterly wind? Too cold and I can't cycle out to sea, so it's time to go for a walk :smile:.

OP
OP
razabbs

razabbs

I'm taking the northbound road. Conveniently in my case this takes me to Glasgow, from where I catch the hourly train service home!
North wind - obviously take the train TO Glasgow and ride home (about 38 miles).
Sod's law says that the prevailing wind is westerly though. That involves 2 trains. Easterly wind? Too cold and I can't cycle out to sea, so it's time to go for a walk :smile:.

You've just raised a fair point actually! Lincoln is almost due North of me and at some point I do plan on cycling up to the cathedral and then getting a train for the (majority of the) way back. Just waiting for a decent Southerly wind and a nice day for it

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
For this winter I have bought an electric bike for my commutes. I came to the conclusion that for winter riding, it is not really about riding a bike. Its about being out there in all weathers. When winter turns up there are so many things going against you. Its cold and dark, wet and windy. You need to put on so much gear just to keep warm.

My commute is 20km at 4.30am and the electric bike is actually making winter commutes enjoyable. My ride home is often extended to 30+ kms.

As I have made the task of commuting a bit easier I can concentrate on gear I will be using in the Pan Celtic Race and for touring next year.

In the afternoons and at weekends I am mainly on my MTB or gravel bike. But when it is blowing a gale at me on the way to work. I just hunker down and am glad of the assistance.

OP
OP
razabbs

razabbs

For this winter I have bought an electric bike for my commutes. I came to the conclusion that for winter riding, it is not really about riding a bike. Its about being out there in all weathers. When winter turns up there are so many things going against you. Its cold and dark, wet and windy. You need to put on so much gear just to keep warm.

My commute is 20km at 4.30am and the electric bike is actually making winter commutes enjoyable. My ride home is often extended to 30+ kms.

As I have made the task of commuting a bit easier I can concentrate on gear I will be using in the Pan Celtic Race and for touring next year.

In the afternoons and at weekends I am mainly on my MTB or gravel bike. But when it is blowing a gale at me on the way to work. I just hunker down and am glad of the assistance.

I agree with the winter part; if it's wet I'm not too interested in going out, but you can still have a cross/wind/headwind/tailwind in the summer, too:tongue:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I agree with the winter part; if it's wet I'm not too interested in going out, but you can still have a cross/wind/headwind/tailwind in the summer, too:tongue:

In Denmark we are reknown for the wind. It makes RTW cyclists cry. They expect a lovely flat landscape with no wind. We love to suprise them. ^_^ Headwinds and tailwinds are ok as they are predictable. Sidewinds are my nemesis.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I tend to ride a variety circular /oval-ish loops, depending on how far or what cafe we fancy visiting, hilly or lessy hilly preference. there are a coupe of long exposed drags I might avoid if its windy but that's it. Its probably more of an issue in the flatlands.

OP
OP
razabbs

razabbs

I tend to ride a variety circular /oval-ish loops, depending on how far or what cafe we fancy visiting, hilly or lessy hilly preference. there are a coupe of long exposed drags I might avoid if its windy but that's it. Its probably more of an issue in the flatlands.

Unfortunately so, yeah. It's allllllways windy up here. Flat for as far as the eye can see until you reach about 15 miles north

Alex321

Veteran
If I have a choice, I will tend to aim for a headwind on the way out, tailwind on the way home - I have no choice on my commute, that is mostly Easterly on the way in, Westerly on the way home, and the prevailing winds are from the SW here.

I'd much rather have a headwind or tailwind than crosswinds though, with fairly deep section wheels, they really can catch the side winds badly.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Depends, says he helpfully! Very strong crosswinds can be dangerous in exposed places but most of the time they are ok. I also use trains, when they they are running, to counter strong winds. A strong northerly will be a train to Penrith and ride home, a strong westerly out to Barrow. I can ride out eastward and train home from Skipton although that can be stressful as trains are only every couple of hours. In general I prefer to get the train leg done first then not under time pressure.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Depends, says he helpfully! Very strong crosswinds can be dangerous in exposed places but most of the time they are ok. I also use trains, when they they are running, to counter strong winds. A strong northerly will be a train to Penrith and ride home, a strong westerly out to Barrow. I can ride out eastward and train home from Skipton although that can be stressful as trains are only every couple of hours. In general I prefer to get the train leg done first then not under time pressure.

Agreed.

Train out then cycle home with or across the wind.

Maybe I should just use an ebike and always have the wind behind me.^_^

C R

Guru
I don't like headwinds for obvious reasons, but I really positively hate cross winds. There's nothing worse than riding along a lane and suddenly being blown sideways by the wind coming through an opening in the hedge.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Lucky are those with a choice.
I have a S or SW run out regardless as there is no readily available and affordable alternative.
I do not like North winds as they are ok going out but contrary coming home.
Even taking my car to a different starting point does not really help.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
When you live roughly HERE, there's not much choice as all the routes out are to the North or North West and home to the South or South East. For circular routes it's a case of working out whether clockwise or anti-clockwise gives the most wind assistance, but at least I have the option of bike out/train home or train out/bike home if the wind is in the right direction.

Top Bottom