Hearing aid question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robjh

Legendary Member
My Dad, who is 84, is suffering from hearing loss that has got worse recently, and has decided that it is time for a hearing aid.
He has an NHS hearing test due in about 6 weeks, with an unclear lead time following that until he actually gets the hearing aid, but we understand that it could be a couple of months or more. In the meantime he has taken a hearing test in Boots and is considering going private with them as the waiting time will be less, and he is getting increasingly frustrated with his hearing difficulties. Depending on the outcome of the tests, the cost is likely to be somewhere in £1400-£2000 range.

Does anyone have any advice on NHS vs private hearing aids? We're more concerned about their effectiveness than appearance so are not looking to pay more for cosmetic reasons. The Boots Essential range are described here but in essentially advertising language that doesn't give much to compare them by.

Assuming you had the money for private, is it worth it if it is just to reduce the waiting time?

Any other general advice on choosing hearing aids is also most welcome.

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
Hi Rob

Depending on where he is, he may be able to get his test and hearing aids quicker. Lots of CCGs have commissioned multiple hearing aid providers but GPs will routinely refer to hospital audiology departments, which have significant backlogs.

It might be worth seeing if he has another provider near him - Specsavers for example - who does NHS hearing aids. They’re usually very quick.
The appointment that he got through the GP is at Specsavers. He rang them yesterday to reschedule it as the first one given clashes with a holiday, but they made it sound like they have a limited number of NHS slots and he now has to wait a further 3 weeks (it was him who made the phone call so I am surmising on some of the details).
It's all in Cambridge BTW - he's almost a neighbour of yours :smile:

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
They probably do have a limited number of NHS slots, as commissioners have tried to throttle back capacity to reduce demand (which doesn’t work but is what they’re told to do by the management consultants). The good news is that if he needs straightforward hearing aids, they normally sort those within days.
Thanks. I probably need to ring them myself to clarify things, as my Dad doesn't always get the full picture these days.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Have you actually tried the NHS route?
I was referred to the hospital, had the test and was quickly fitted for my free hearing aid.
Cant fault them.

Hearing aid question

I have a pair of NHS hearing aids. IIRC when I had my initial GP referred hearing test at the local hospital I was then fitted up straight away.

That said I don't need an ear mould, (yet!), just standard tubes and domes, but if your Dad does need a mould then this will obviously add a delay, but if that's the case then perhaps they could offer him standard domes until his mould(s) where ready.

I've never had any particular issues with NHS ones, if I feel they need adjusting I can make an appointment directly with the Audiology Dept, go along, have another test and they re-tune them accordingly. Also new tubes, earpieces and batteries are all supplied F.O.C. as well. I don't even need to trail to the hospital for those, there are local clinics at certain times of the month where you go and get any consumable bits and pieces you might need.

FWIW my Uncle paid a small fortune for private ones at Boots, (he went that way through vanity I suspect), yet he hated them from the word go, not sure why exactly but I know he ended up getting his money back and not bothering with any.

Would I go for private ones if I could afford too? I genuinely don't think I would.

It's easy to say as I can't afford private ones anyway, but I really don't see what they could offer me for all that money over and above what my 'free' NHS ones do.

These are mine BTW but there are different colours available as well.

aids.jpg

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have a pair of NHS hearing aids. IIRC when I had my initial GP referred hearing test at the local hospital I was then fitted up straight away.

That said I don't need an ear mould, (yet!), just standard tubes and domes, but if your Dad does need a mould then this will obviously add a delay, but if that's the case then perhaps they could offer him standard domes until his mould(s) where ready.

I've never had any particular issues with NHS ones, if I feel they need adjusting I can make an appointment directly with the Audiology Dept, go along, have another test and they re-tune them accordingly. Also new tubes, earpieces and batteries are all supplied F.O.C. as well. I don't even need to trail to the hospital for those, there are local clinics at certain times of the month where you go and get any consumable bits and pieces you might need.

FWIW my Uncle paid a small fortune for private ones at Boots, (he went that way through vanity I suspect), yet he hated them from the word go, not sure why exactly but I know he ended up getting his money back and not bothering with any.

Would I go for private ones if I could afford too? I genuinely don't think I would.

It's easy to say as I can't afford private ones anyway, but I really don't see what they could offer me for all that money over and above what my 'free' NHS ones do.

View attachment 390229
Yes......same experience as i didnt need the ear mold.
Cant imagine what I could gain by going private.......apart from a hole in my bank account :smile:

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
Have you actually tried the NHS route?
I was referred to the hospital, had the test and was quickly fitted for my free hearing aid.
Cant fault them.

View attachment 390229

Yes......same experience as i didnt need the ear mold.
Cant imagine what I could gain by going private.......apart from a hole in my bank account :smile:
At the moment the only thing tipping my Dad towards private hearing aids is his impatience to get some hearing back as quickly as possible. But it's early days and he's not yet committed to anything, so I think I need to check directly with the providers myself as to the likely waiting times.

At the moment the only thing tipping my Dad towards private hearing aids is his impatience to get some hearing back as quickly as possible. But it's early days and he's not yet committed to anything, so I think I need to check directly with the providers myself as to the likely waiting times.
My advice, FWIW, would be to ask the NHS about the possibility of interim aids, (if he does indeed need a mould), also try any other places, speak to the docs, tell them Specsavers are too busy and can he go elsewhere?

Hope he gets fixed up soon :okay:

Top Bottom