Hearing or looking?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

on the road

Über Member
gaz said:
How about his safety and the safety of others, i've spoken to people before and asked them why they jumped the lights? they had nothing credible to say about it.
What about his safety? Have you taken on the roll of a superhero?

He's an individual, if he chooses to disobey the highway code then that's his business and he will have to face the consequences if and when the law catches up with him. By all means report him but to pull him up on jumping a red light sounds like elitism.

Many motorists jump red lights, you don't see other motorists pulling them over and giving them a telling off.
BentMikey said:
Why not - it's shared space, and his actions on the public highway affect us all. It's all our business.
What would you have done if he had continued to jump a red light, make a citizen’s arrest?

jimboalee

Jezston said:
Are you suggesting that our good hard working servicemen, putting their lives at risk for large congolmerates their country, are all violent thugs that would lash out with fists at anything they don't like?

Sorry about that, PTSD excluded.

"He could have been a West Ham fan." Is that better?

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I wouldn't have done more than apply a little social pressure via the few comments I made. He was a very nice chap, and we had a good conversation up to the oval.

It's no different to telling a moton to put the phone down, or writing to a company after their driver drove unusually well/badly. You might enjoy the comments on this G4S armoured van jumping a light, apparently from one of their employees:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuVk4NkeeLM

"The driver was given the bollocking after his manager saw this on this site. People at work was talking about it, so the top man decided to have a look. haha, serves the driver right, has a bad reputation for desrespecting the highway code"

Of course I accept that an armored van jumping lights is considerably more dangerous than a cyclist, but neither are acceptable.

If everyone made the effort to do this kind of thing, the roads would be considerably safer and more pleasant for us all. It's not fun, but it's our duty, IMO. You can always carry on doing nothing, and taking no social responsibility whatsoever.

Top Bottom