Heart bypass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bill Gates

Having had 2 heart attacks, the last one in June 2007, and stents fitted as a result; I know how it affects your personality as well as your physical condition. Those around you tend to counsel that you should go for a less demanding lifestyle. Whereas the opposite is probably the more healthy route. I say probably because it depends on your condition. After the first heart attack I resolved to ride a bike again and to get under the hour within 12 months. Within 11 months I achieved 1.00.04 on a windy day in April, early season and the started to go backwards with awful pains in my legs, palpitations at night, and severe fatigue. After googling Atorvastatin I discovered the side effects of taking statins. My GP had increased my dosage from 40mg a day to 80mg a day. One side effect is exercise intolerance. I was a very angry person that my GP had not told me about the side effects. I could go on but that's another story.

At the time I had already started to play squash again. The point I'm making is that don't hold yourself back from exercise but do take it slowly. Allow sufficient time for the stents to bed in. After all you've got the rest of your life to recuperate.

Edit: Reread your post its an upcoming triple by pass so no stents involved. I think the advice is still sound though

Last edited:

Mrs M

Guru
Sending best wishes to you for a full recovery and a big hug :hugs:
xx

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@Leaway2 you've obviously had a quite a shock with the diagnosis. I hope you're coming to terms with it.

As this thread has shown you there an awful lot of people out there with successful procedures in their past. I'll add myself to the list with a minor heart attack and stented in 2015 and brain haemorrhage January this year.

I'm fully recovered from both, living life to the full and at 65, literally, riding better than ever.

Don't underestimate the influence your overall fitness will have on your recovery. Your body is strong, your fitness will be a massive aid to a full recovery.

The NHS is a wonderful organisation. When we truly need them those people are there for us. Be a good patient and follow all the advice.

My one piece of practical advice would be to ignore all the "I was back on my bike in XX weeks." We are all different, don't let your expectations be raised only to be disappointed later. My stenting was minor compared with your procedure but it took me five months to get back on my bike. I walked and walked everywhere to maintain fitness and help recovery. A pair of walking boots would be a good investment.

Good luck.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Sorry to hear this, Leaway. What a huge shock. I've had issues with very bad palpitations in the past, though they have settled down now. Anything to do with your heart is always very worrying - it's the only one you've got. My arrhythmia caused me massive anxiety, panic attacks etc. It really helped to read about it online and realise that arrythmias and heart problems are very, very common and the outcomes are far better than they used to be. I've had a few heart monitors at Trafford General myself, and a couple of heart related trips to A and E at Wythenshawe too.

My brother in law had to have a valve replaced a few years ago. He was slim and exercised a lot and one small spell of feeling unwell after tennis led to his op. The surgeon said that any doctor would be happy to see him on the table - non smoker, healthy diet, good fitness - as complications were far less likely and the recovery would be easier. I am sure your doctor feels the same. Best wishes.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Advise these days is often to be as active as you feel you can manage - to a point of course - as this often aids recovery. The single largest problem with extended hospital stays is increased frailty and loss of mobilty and independence as a result, especially in the elderly.
In the final meeting with the cardiologist , a few months after the operation, I asked if I should take it easy on the bike. He told me that I could ride as far and as hard as I wanted....."but it's probably not a good idea to enter the TdF…..". I reassured him that, reluctantly, I would make that sacrifice.

Drago

Legendary Member
Ranulph Fiennes climbed Everest after his heart bypass. He was accompanied by a doctor, and he had to wear a medical device which measured his heart stats continuously. Alas, the device packed up but Fiennes kept this snippet from the good Doctor and carried on.

I daresay that by this time next year Leaway will be in the news as the first person to cycle up Everest...on a Brompton.

OP
OP
Leaway2

Leaway2

Lycrist
-----------Update----------------
I had a quad heart bypass on the 13th of Jan (Monday). After the op I spent 3 days in ICU then on to the ward until Sunday when I was discharged. I am currently R and R'ing with my son and D.I.L (who are doing a great job of spoiling me rotten).
Apart from the the obvious chest cut, they "mined" my right leg for a vein. The cut goes from my ankle to my groin so I guess the pickings were slim.
I am considering a tattoo of the tour de France with the grand depart at my ankle, the Paris finish at my groin, with the major climbs along the way or maybe the Man - Llandudno, with Eureka and Rhyl.
I am continuing to make notable progress every day and although still in pain, it is getting better. Hopefully back on the bike soon.

Top Bottom