Heart bypass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Leaway2

Leaway2

Lycrist
I had one in 2012. I had no idea that I needed it. Some people get a keyhole procedure but mine was a full-on "split the sternum down the middle" jobby. It left my chest feeling a bit tender for some time but I was allowed back on my bike after six weeks. It felt like I'd been given a completely new set of legs.
Wishing you all the very best.:okay:
Thank, good to know. I was hoping for some real world experience. They did say that they were suprised I did so much cycling. I dont drive/have access to a car, and what I could do with a decent ticker.
How long were you in for?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Good luck. Glad it's caught early. I know 2 people that were caught after a heart attack. One isn't with us. :sad:

D

Deleted member 26715

Again not personal experience but the BIL, they did all 3 of his through an artery in the leg, he was awake for the whole procedure

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Thank, good to know. I was hoping for some real world experience. They did say that they were suprised I did so much cycling. I dont drive/have access to a car, and what I could do with a decent ticker.
I had an angiogram on Friday afternoon and they wouldn't let me go home, saying "we are going to operate tomorrow". It came as a complete shock. They found it hard to believe that I was cycling about eighty miles a week and had no symptoms. Hammersmith Hospital didn't have a post-op bed until the next Tuesday so I they held me hostage until then. I lived only a mile away but I think they were concerned that I might keel over at any moment and it wouldn't look good if they had let me out. I had the op on Tuesday and came round with a very sore chest late in the evening, doped up with synthetic opiates. I was discharged a week later. I was running a tiny company at the time and the two of us were in the middle of a large potentially lucrative contract and we couldn't afford to slow down. I started work again within 24 hours of leaving hospital. The whole episode seemed utterly surreal! Still does.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Must have come as a bit of a shock to learn you have a dodgy ticker but better that than something worse down the line. The posts from those who have gone through the same procedure are very reassuring so I don't think you need to worry. I'm sure you'll be back on the bike again in no time. Good luck and a speedy recovery.

OP
OP
Leaway2

Leaway2

Lycrist
I had an angiogram on Friday afternoon and they wouldn't let me go home, saying "we are going to operate tomorrow". It came as a complete shock. They found it hard to believe that I was cycling about eighty miles a week and had no symptoms. Hammersmith Hospital didn't have a post-op bed until the next Tuesday so I they held me hostage until then. I lived only a mile away but I think they were concerned that I might keel over at any moment and it wouldn't look good if they had let me out. I had the op on Tuesday and came round with a very sore chest late in the evening, doped up with synthetic opiates. I was discharged a week later. I was running a tiny company at the time and the two of us were in the middle of a large potentially lucrative contract and we couldn't afford to slow down. I started work again within 24 hours of leaving hospital. The whole episode seemed utterly surreal! Still does.
Mine was on Friday. They kept me in until Saturday PM. IT was touch and go if I would be kept in.

D

Deleted member 1258

I had Angina in 2008, 4 stents fitted, heart attack in 2016, another stent fitted. They've spotted yours before it up and bit you on the arse, get the op done, do the cardiac rehab, listen to you're doctors and you'll be back on your bike in a few weeks.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Crikey Leaway, that must have been a shock to hear.
Like you say, it's not really what you expect for active, healthy people like us and seems to go against all the accepted wisdom we live our lives by.
Is there any family history of similar conditions?
My dad has suffered I'll health for as long as I can remember and was certainly on a downhill slope from when he was my age in his mid 40s. Stomach ulcers, blood pressure, rheumatism/arthritis and later heart attacks and strokes! I am adamant I will not end up the same way so try to stay fit and active with a healthy diet, unlike my dad who was not very active, often a bit overweight and a very high salt intake at every meal! Having said that, he is still here and is 81 but has had a very poor quality of life for the last 15-20 years.
I am hoping not to follow in his footsteps and so far looking good.
Fingers crossed for you to have a speedy recovery and hopefully this is just a 'minor' bump in the journey to an otherwise long and healthy life :hugs:

Slick

Guru
:sad:So it is not necessarily the end of it after the op. Hope B.I.L is ok now.

Certainly not. I've no personal experience but a huge family history with my brother being the latest, and like you they were able to catch it before any attack but he was fitted with what turned out to be 7 stents from what we were originally were told was 5. He was back on the bike next day on the advice of his doctor despite shock and horror from all the amateur GP's. I also remember going to see my old man in hospital and him being told not to lie in his bed but get up and moving after his quadruple bypass. He was the worst man you could have said that to as the next time the nurses were begging my mum to get him into his bed as he kept running up and down the stairs to test his new heart.

I also remember him passing away just short of 20 years later of a totally unrelated condition and the heart was bitter sweet, as it was still the strongest organ in his body which I always felt made things at the end a bit tougher than they otherwise needed to be.

The point being, in the words of the great man himself, this is not the end, it's not even the beginning of the end........;)

si_c

Guru

Advise these days is often to be as active as you feel you can manage - to a point of course - as this often aids recovery. The single largest problem with extended hospital stays is increased frailty and loss of mobilty and independence as a result, especially in the elderly.

Slick

Guru
Advise these days is often to be as active as you feel you can manage - to a point of course - as this often aids recovery. The single largest problem with extended hospital stays is increased frailty and loss of mobilty and independence as a result, especially in the elderly.
Neither my oldman or brother were elderly, but I do know that the advice is normally as you say, active as you can manage. My brother for example spent one ride hiding behind me the following day, which is why I knew he wasn't well but he obviously got his confidence back because normal service was resumed the following day where I was struggling to keep up with him. :blush:

Top Bottom