Heart of the Wolds Cycle Sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Might do the long route, I know that area quite well and it's very beautiful

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Thanks for the heads-up. I'm kind of tempted, as I have family in Driff, but I'm struggling to see what I get for my £30.
I normally only do events like this if I'm meeting mates - if I'm riding solo I prefer to do my own thing - so I'll ping my North Eastern cycling buddy to see what's what.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
If you enter before the end of January there's £5 off :okay: I did it last year & will be doing it again. On the long route there is 2 feed stations, a meal at the end, bottle of rather nice local beer & a 'buff' IIRC
Missed a gold time last year by just over a minute, no waiting at feed stations for mates this year :laugh:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Hmph.. Just put my practical head on - it's a Sunday and I'd have to drive to London afterwards. I'll pass on this one.

OP
OP
Montydog

Montydog

If you enter before the end of January there's £5 off :okay: I did it last year & will be doing it again. On the long route there is 2 feed stations, a meal at the end, bottle of rather nice local beer & a 'buff' IIRC
Missed a gold time last year by just over a minute, no waiting at feed stations for mates this year :laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:....tell them to eat quicker:laugh:

OP
OP
Montydog

Montydog

:laugh:.....looking at doing the 100k if i enter:thumbsup:

Saw quite a few riders out on this, as we headed back along the Bridlington - Rudston - Sledmere road, after we'd stopped at the 'posh Porta-Cabin', for a trip up the coast to Whitby, & the Goth Festival

Sunday morning wasn't the best weather for them
The riders we passed mainly seemed disciplined, & sensible, unlike some of the chimps at the Tour de Yorkshire sportive last year (when I got entangled in it, near Yeadon Airport)

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Saw quite a few riders out on this, as we headed back along the Bridlington - Rudston - Sledmere road, after we'd stopped at the 'posh Porta-Cabin', for a trip up the coast to Whitby, & the Goth Festival

Sunday morning wasn't the best weather for them
The riders we passed mainly seemed disciplined, & sensible, unlike some of the chimps at the Tour de Yorkshire sportive last year (when I got entangled in it, near Yeadon Airport)

The weather wasn't too bad, just a tad cold & windy. I was on the longer ride, but I wasn't feeling 100% in the morning & not riding at my usual pace. Around 40 miles in I had a bit of chest pain, or a tightening of the chest. Was ok if I kept my heart rate under 130 :blush: so wimped out of the long ride & took the 100k route at a very steady rate. Felt ok after rest, so came home had a shower & forgot about it for a while. but i'd had a few palpitations over the previous days & then Sunday evening had a few more, so got in to see my GP 1st thing Monday morning, a quick ECG & them I'm whisked off to hospital in an ambulance (wouldn't even let my wife drive me there) Spent 24 hours wired up, 2 ultra sound scans, 2 blood tests & a CT scan & i was given the all clear & sent home. The only theory they had was it may have been 'Pericarditis' as I'd had a cold lingering for 2 or 3 weeks :sad:
Felt a bit of a fraud compared to the other folk on the ward, but glad to have a clean bill of health on the old ticker. Quite sobering experience though, in the back of an ambulance with lights & siren blaring I did think 'this could be my last journey' & then watching an old lady in her final moments was not pleasant at all :sad: Think I'm going to take it as a little warning & ease up a little, hopefully carry on with the mileage, just at a steadier pace :okay:

OP
OP
Montydog

Montydog

glad all is well and don't worry about thinking your a fraud...always best to get checked out:okay:

:bicycle:the ride was good (long route) and enjoyed the 3 hill challenge:tongue: although don't think my climbing times would worry anyone^_^....was vold and the wind was a pain:okay:

Top Bottom