heart problems and cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The TattooedCyclist

Does anyone else on these forums have heart issues etc.

for me personally I have a permanent atrial fibrillation mostly controlled by a pacemaker and tablets and also a leaking heart valve. which leads to about a 25% loss in power output because of the blood flow into the lungs and body.

When cycling I do find this frustrating as I would love to join a local cycling club but obviously I would struggle to keep up with the pace. Ideally I would like a new valve replacement etc but I know this wont happen in the short term.

my weight was 16 stone about a year ago but have come down to 14 stone and ideally want to be about 13 1/2 stone.
since losing some of my weight I seemed to have lost some of my power and get tired quite quick.

my height is 6ft 3"

my average speed is only about 14-15mph or on a good day 17-18mph.

I would be grateful for any tips or advice....

View: http://youtu.be/VKxQgjj2yVU

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I can't help with the specificas, but I'm 48 have CHD, stented at 42 and on Beta blockers and shedloads of Statins.
On the whole I can cycle OK excepet I have to beware of over exerting and not taking time to warm-up. I really shouldn't cycle in the very cold either.
What this means in cycling terms is no sprinting and no hauling up silly steep hills, it means constantly having to listen to my heart and knowing when to slow down. The effect of all this is that I accept being the slowest on training nights, that a 30min 10TT is as good as I'll get, that 20-22mph is fine for a max flat speed. It means I have to be content with 'slow-groups' and conversational pace.
However, cycling is still fun, if I can't go fast, maybe I can go long distance, Audax would be a good challenge, night-rides, social rides, organising a club, touring, helping beginners, there are many enjoyable aspects to cycling, not just carbon-fibre and balls-out riding.

Your averages sound fine. Accept your limitations pace-wise and work on endurance. Try some CTC rides or find some sympathetric riding buddies or clubs, they do exist, if not - start one!

Davidc

Guru
Like FF I have CHD - a heart attack 3 years ago wasn't fun. A few years older (59 now) though.

I have most of the issues FF has posted. I don't worry about hills, I'm slow but can deal with most by pacing. Beta blockers limit heart output so I just grind up at a constant slow rate.

I can't find a suitable club round here so most rides are solo. If I find a club with a slow riders ride I'll join.

What I do remember well though is a conversation in the BRI with a cardiac consultant. I said "I don't suppose I'l be doing much more riding on my bike in future then" he said" I'll rearrange that, In future you'll be doing much more riding on your bike then".

He said that doing as much bike riding as possible, and as strenuously as possible, was the best way to reduce the chances of having another heart atack, or any other heart problems, in future.

My average speed is now about 11 mph on a ride. Doesn't stop me enjoying riding though. Before the MI it was 15 to 18 mph. 35 years ago it was 25 to 28 mph. Who cares? I enjoy riding my bikes.

D

Deleted member 1258

Like Fab Foodie I have stents fitted, angina in 2008, and I'm on low dose aspirin and symvastatin, I no longer worry about how fast/slow I'm going I just enjoy my cycling and try not to take it too seriously, my average speed is similar to yours. Just relax enjoy your cycling and listen to your body, if its telling you its tired rest it, if you feel good enjoy it.

squirrel

I had a heart attack aged 28,(33now) double stents fitted and on 5 a day (tablets mind!) for the rest of my days but i dont let that bother me at all, i just ride at whatever pace my body, heart and legs allow. some days miles, some days yards!! I only started riding to improve fitness after the attack, not that i was so unfit beforehand though.

Top Bottom