Heart rate high?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

billy1561

BB wrecker
Hi all.
On my ride today i hit a peak of 225 heart rate pushing hard on a local hill. Now my supposed max heart rate (220-age) is 169. I have had 171 this year once but nothing this high. Is this likely to be an erroneous reading from my garmin edge 800 or did it actually get this high?

Thomk

Guru
You are dead or it's an error I think.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Likely an error on the Garmin's part. If your HR was 40-50 beats above your previously recorded max, then I would expect you would feel something physical and likely firmly planted on the unpleasant side of the spectrum of physical sensation!

ACW

depending on the ecg pattern some devices can count a single waveform as 2 beats, so more like 112 bpm than 225

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Overhead cables can cause a spike.

Hi all.
On my ride today i hit a peak of 225 heart rate pushing hard on a local hill. Now my supposed max heart rate (220-age) is 169. I have had 171 this year once but nothing this high. Is this likely to be an erroneous reading from my garmin edge 800 or did it actually get this high?

probably an error - but your 220-age figure is also a fairly worthless gauge of your actual max HR...especially if you've already seen a higher figure...

OP
OP
B

billy1561

BB wrecker
probably an error - but your 220-age figure is also a fairly worthless gauge of your actual max HR...especially if you've already seen a higher figure...
without getting into a scientific debate regarding the 220 -age i haven't seen anything remotely this strange on my previous rides.
I do agree it's a very rough guide to my max HR but it's all i have to go on for now, and yeah it looks like some kind of blip to me too :hello:

without getting into a scientific debate regarding the 220 -age i haven't seen anything remotely this strange on my previous rides.
I do agree it's a very rough guide to my max HR but it's all i have to go on for now, and yeah it looks like some kind of blip to me too :hello:

if you've seen 171 then presumably you already realise that 169 is not your true max HR. 220-age gives you a number which could be up to 15bpm out either way...

OP
OP
B

billy1561

BB wrecker
if you've seen 171 then presumably you already realise that 169 is not your true max HR. 220-age gives you a number which could be up to 15bpm out either way...
Absolutely. So + 15 bpm would give circa 184 max HR. Still doesn't explain the 225 or indeed the 192 slightly earlier in the ride... Other than an error which you suggested which i agree with.

I suppose the thing to bear in mind is how you actually feel when you see those readings. Do you feel as though you are at max HR when you see readings as high as that? Being at max is not something you could sustain for any longer than a few seconds.

My guess is the 225 is erroneous. By the sound of it, you need to go out and do a proper max HR test, if only to establish what your true max actually is...

Top Bottom